Amano shrimp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh yah I'm not too experienced with them but I think I am doing everything right. To keep them happy. Also idk if anyone has told u. If there isn't much algae in the tank u can feed them hikari (brand that I prefer) algae wafers.

Yes I have snails in my tanks as well and that is what I give them:) my rcs go crazy over them. They take a whole one all to themselves;)

Yah I only have two ottos with my rcs and mts to keep the ammonia up. But once my colony starts going ill put some small fish and bamboo shrimps.

Those mts' multiple fast!! My assassin snails love them though thank goodness;) but I have quite a few large ones!! I am going to do my 5g as a shrimp tank but I am dragging my feet about putting a divider in my 20g to separate my bettas:/ reddish seems to like his tank full of snails;) and stanley(the other one) is temperamental at best...reallllyy want that shrimp tank though;)

Hi friends!

I have two Amanos in the Cherry shrimp tank and they are every where all over the tank. Also 8 Mountain Cloud Minnows

They remind me of water Fairy ballerinas. They love the Hikari omnivore sinking pellets (I know...Algae eating shrimp lol) and will grab one and/or fight in a tug o war for one pellet, the pellets are much smaller than the Hikari Algae tabs, will get it and run away and go up into the plants or sit in the Java moss and eat it.

They are great because they are big! 2 inches over a year old. Don't seem to give a care about the other shrimp except to steal the Shrimp Cuisine mini pellets. Will play with the Ramshorn snails in the moss when they fall off and clean their shells.

I don't think they breed easily or maybe at all in fresh water. :confused:

wow i didn't know amanos can grow to 2 inches. i read it only grew an inch and a half. or less.
Hcourts i guess once your amanos get big u don't have to worry about them. i guess just chance it and see. :)

Yes sky!! They are very cute!! Mine never seem to come out of the java moss!! I shake it and they come out for a bit but go right back:) and yes I am hoping my hoping my angels don't give them any trouble!!

Don't shake it you'll just make them stress and hide more haha.
And hopefuly your angels don't either :p

Lol!! Yeah prob!! I saw them closer to the front of it this morning:) I was actually able to see all four of them;)

I have only ever seen 5 of my Amano's at any 1 time.

My largest is almost 2 inches long.

image-733948491.jpg

image-3694704499.jpg

Don't freak out when you see exoskeleton's dotted around your tank. They moult quite frequently in my tank. At least it seems that way. Lol.

I leave my exoskeleton's in my tank for some extra calcium. I saw one of my tetras gobbling some up earlier today.

Jon

Lol!! Yeah!! I plan to get a few more next time I go to my lfs is he has any;) I have to space my trips as I always spend a lot of money:)

Just added two more Amano's today + 1 RCS. Last night I saw the 4 I had out and about, a couple of weeks ago I wasn't even sure if any of my original 3 survived. Now .. Assuming the two I added acclimate, that'll be 6 Amano's. I'm hoping the more of them there are, the more they'll come out.

Yeah that will be my plan as well;) do they get along ok with your rcs? I am undecided as to what to do with my two loners. I just ordered 20 more of someone on here but I have to deal with stanley(one of my bettas). I am having trouble moving him into my 20ghigh with reddish(my other betta). Of course there will be a divider;)

Yeah that will be my plan as well;) do they get along ok with your rcs? I am undecided as to what to do with my two loners. I just ordered 20 more of someone on here but I have to deal with stanley(one of my bettas). I am having trouble moving him into my 20ghigh with reddish(my other betta). Of course there will be a divider;)

So far I only have the one RCS ... I'll give it a week ... Maybe two .. and if it survives / I have a confirmed sighting. I'll add more. It almost didn't survive the first few seconds! After a 3hr acclimation, I emptied them into my net and released them above some plants in the left front corner. Well, the two Amano's made a beeline for the plants... The RCS? Went up! ... Then over! :facepalm:.
It got broad sided by my Z. Danios .. 1/2 inch below the surface!

I did see it about an hour ago by munching by DW It took cover behind earlier.
My fish are weird... Shrimp on the bottom or on any deco are left completely alone ... Shrimp swimming about in the water column are fair game.

Lmao!!! Yeah that's about how it rolls at me house too!! I wonder if it's bc they are floating?!?!

You know another thing I could think of why your shrimps are hiding is because they might be molting? Haha sorry I know I'm completely out of the topic but I thought id share :p

Yeah I never thought about them molting...interesting;) one of them jumped on out the rpck a bit ago;)

Back
Top Bottom