Amazon Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madcurlyq

Aquarium Advice Activist
umm i new (to this website)and i have tanks already but im starting a 29gal with the following
*10 neon tetras
*2 rams (dwarf cichlids)
*2 dwarf gouramis
*2 pearl gouramis

need lower ph and dgh
banghead%20-%20Copy.gif
:facepalm:.....how?
any more suggestions?

need lower ph and dgh
banghead%20-%20Copy.gif
:facepalm:.....how?
any more suggestions?

Why do you need to to lower the PH? If you do try to soften up hard water stick with something natural like peat in the filters or adding driftwood to release tannins. PH is probably the one of the most over rated thing in our hobby, stability is the key not a specific level. I have hard water with a PH of 7.8-8.0 and have kept and breed everything from discus to oscars.

Why do you need to to lower the PH? If you do try to soften up hard water stick with something natural like peat in the filters or adding driftwood to release tannins. PH is probably the one of the most over rated thing in our hobby, stability is the key not a specific level. I have hard water with a PH of 7.8-8.0 and have kept and breed everything from discus to oscars.

+1

No need to get concerned with trying to get a specific low pH ... just keep it stable. As Hukit said, DW and peat moss are simple ways to lower pH ... but keep in mind the tannins will turn your water a tea color.

Totally agree. I'd also avoid the gouramis. The tank is too small four 2 DGs and 2 pearls. I'd advise one of either if any at all. They likely will not get along longterm with the rams. They aren't amazonian btw.

ok thanks! with the rams and neons what else should i put in there? i know that gouramis are from asia but they are so pretty now i think i want a pure amazon tank. so what would be good amazon fish to have with the neons and rams?

any tetra. some silver hatchets would look good at the top i think theyre from the amazon but dont know.

do those school? i might get some of those...any other suggestions?

o cool i looked them up and i will probably get the marbled kind they're from the amazon and only get to be 1.5in ill get 5 or 6......any othe ideas??

k ill look those up wait are neons 1in or 1.5 ? trying yo get it straight so i dont over stock...bc some peple say 1 others 1.5

1.5 and dont listen to the 1 inch per gallon rule the best way to tell is add slowly and watch your nitrates if they get above 20 in a week you're overstocked

wait the julii is a cory and i dont think i want any catfish ....im trying a tank without them

wow thats helpful! so if u add some and the nitrates dont go over 20 for a few days then spike that means its over stocked...and with that do u get more or less than an inch per gal?

black neons woul be cool! there would be two different kinds..........:ROFLMAO: that would be awsome! ill look into that!

those would be cool but i just looked into it and they arent from the amazon...to bad:nono:

Yay! I was helpful! I have regular neons and my sister has black neons! :) oh and she has glofish. Those are cool and pretty but I don't know if they would be from the amazon

only add 1 more schooling fish and maybe the corys if after a week your nitrates dont get to 20 or dont get over. if they get over 20 you'll have to remove some fish.

Back
Top Bottom