american flag fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eja206

Aquarium Advice Activist
has anyone had any experience keeping american flag fish?
mine are currently in an unheated tank in a central-heated room (i guess sub-tropical?). any ideas of tank mates?
xx

I have kept american flag fish before.

Pretty community orientated little fish, and with the right breeding fantastic color. If I remember right, they are native to florida inlets and rivers.

I wouldn't let the temperature of the tank fall too low regardless. They are from florida afterall! More importantly, don't swing the temperatures too drastically too fast.

ok cool, thanks for the advice about temperature - very useful as i bought them on a bit of a whim and don't know much about them!
what do your american flag fish live with?

I have found them to be somewhat boisterous and very mildly aggressive to timid tankmates (cory cats), but they are great on thread algae!

I don't think danios would be a problem, since they are fast-moving and very active. The thing about them is that you don't want two males in the same tank, as they will fight - this may have been the issue with mine, come to think of it.

Also, they need vegetables in their diet, so in addition to any algae that you might have, they will require spinach or zucchini or something like that in the tank a couple times a week to supplement their diet.

Back
Top Bottom