ammonia and cloudyness. Best way to cure it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honeysuckle11

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone my ammonia level is at like 4.0 and my water gets cloudy sometime. I been doing a 30 percent water change every week. Im taking to use ammonia safe by tetra to try to help it but it wont go down. Can anyone suggest something esle to try? Plus way the best way to make ur water crytral clear? My other level are fine too.

Products like AmmoniaSafe can detoxify ammonia, but it's still in the tank. The API test kit will pick up bound ammonia as well as free ammonia.

The best way to deal with your ammonia is to do back-to-back 75% PWCs. Is this tank cycled? If not, you're probably going to have to check your ammonia levels and do a PWC every day. Read the cycling links in my signature for more information.

First what size tank, how many and what type of fish, and how long has you tank been running?

Your ammonia is really high and poisoning your fish. I have never done a drastic a change as a 75%. But I would definitely do two 50% pwc a day (morning and night) till you get it below 1ppm. Then I would do daily 50% till you get it below .25 ppm. Use a dechlorinator and get the water temp as close to your tanks as possible.

Ammonia detoxifiers are ok if you are really in a pinch but not as effective as a pwc.

Also can you test for nitrite and nitrate?

Back
Top Bottom