Ammonia drops after 24 hours but not nitrite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Posivated

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank has cycled 4 ppm of ammonia to nitrite 2 days in a row now but the nitrites are super high. Also yesterday if I remember correctly I believe my nitrates were much higher, almost double what they are today.

Ammonia = 0 ppm
Nitrite = Off the chart (higher than 5ppm)
Nitrate = Between 20-40

Also my pH seems to be slowly going down aswell, it is at 6.4 right now.

Last edited:
But why isn't my nitrite dropping? I read the forum articles about cycling and it said that my ammonia and nitrite should be 0. Also should I do something to raise my ph?

Your ph is is starting to reach levels that are not optimal for growth of bacteria. I would do a large wc (90+%) to restore buffer levels and drop your nitrites to a readable level. Then just dose ammonia to 1-2ppm and wait. The nitrite>nitrate phase typically takes 2-3x as long as the ammonia>nitrite phase and some patience is necessary. :)

Your ph is is starting to reach levels that are not optimal for growth of bacteria. I would do a large wc (90+%) to restore buffer levels and drop your nitrites to a readable level. Then just dose ammonia to 1-2ppm and wait. The nitrite>nitrate phase typically takes 2-3x as long as the ammonia>nitrite phase and some patience is necessary. :)

I agree. The PH drop needs to be corrrected; usually a large water change can fix this but if it keeps dropping quickly you may need to add a buffer (we can help if/when that occurs). Also as Jlk said the nitrite phase is the longest, taking 3 weeks on average before it drops.

Ok I did about a 70% water change for now, kinda don't want to do any larger I'm afraid all my plants will lift out of the gravel, only a few lifted up after the 70%.

A little bit after water change my pH is now at around 7.5. I believe my tap water has a 8.2 or so pH

So tested this morning after work and ammonia is 0 ppm nitrite is super high and my pH is going down again at 6.4 or so. Another water change or should I do something else?

A water change to drop your nitrites down to a readable level and restore buffers. With the ph drops happening daily, you should consider adding a buffer (crushed coral or aragonite) in a mesh bag or clean piece of pantyhose to your filter housing to help stabilize your ph without the need for frequent wcs.

Is it bad to do pwc everyday? I'd rather do that if its not going to messing anything up

Is it bad to do pwc everyday? I'd rather do that if its not going to messing anything up

You can do pwc everyday. Have you tested your tap after sitting out for 24 hours. I bet your going to need a buffer. Look into getting a bag of the crushed coral and a media bag, you can also use panty hose for a bag

My tap waters pH is 8.2. Whats usually cheaper crushed coral or aragonite? I also probably wont be able to get either of those until thursday.

I would test your kH of your tap water to see how your buffers are. Changing pH is tricky and very stressful to fish

Well I'm cycling so no fish to be harmed. I guess Ill try and find some crushed coral

Tests today show 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 6.5 pH (hasn't changed since yesturday), and 10-20 nitrate. Is it abnormal that my nitrites went down so quickly?

Mine zeroed in a 36 hr period so I dont think its unusual to drop that fast. I would still suggest you check your buffers. Its critical that your ph be stable and your buffer level is what stabilizes it. Check your tap water

Is kH what I'm testing for in my tap water? Do I just get a different test kit or is there something else?

Back
Top Bottom