Ammonia issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I’ve got some prime coming today so I’ll be using that as the conditioner moving forward as that should help with the toxicity of the nitrites until it’s fully cycled.

You still need to make sure you are doing water changes daily if your test shows any ammonia or nitrite. Prime is just a temporary solution.

Yeah I know...just figured if I could detoxify it even temporarily whilst it’s there then that might help. Defiantly still doing the water changes.

So another 5% change done this evening and ammonia is down to 0.25-0.5. Now dosing with prime so hopefully the nitrites are being detoxified whilst it cycles.

Thanks for everyone’s help!

So this morning we’re at:
Ammonia between 0-0.25ppm
Nitrites between 2-5ppm
Nitrates between 40-80ppm

Will do another 50% change but it looks like the ammonia has gotten under control....now for the nitrites.

So this morning we’re at:
Ammonia between 0-0.25ppm
Nitrites between 2-5ppm
Nitrates between 40-80ppm

Will do another 50% change but it looks like the ammonia has gotten under control....now for the nitrites.
I have another concern now. If your nitrates are rising the way they are, even with daily 50% waterchanges then something is causing that. Maybe overstocking? Maybe your tap water contains nitrates? I would test your tap water and keep an eye on those nitrates if they continue to rise.

I could just be misreading the scale as it’s a little subjective. We have 2 black moors in a 100L tank so hopefully not overcrowding. I’ll test our tap water to check the nitrates though

100 litres is bottom end of tank size for 2 black moors. So when fully grown, I would say heavily stocked rather than over stocked.

Im assuming you are using API liquid test kit? If so, make sure you read after 5 minutes. It will keep going darker in colour the longer you leave it. After 30 minutes it will show nitrates off the chart. I dont think its anything to worry about yet, but keep an eye on it. The high nitrates could just be a residual effect of the high ammonia you had previously that is now being cycled. Now your ammonia is down, hopefully the nitrates wont be rising so fast and your water changes should start to bring that down too.

For future reference, when everything is cycled. The process should be 30% weekly water change. If after water change your nitrate is around 10ppm or lower, great, stick with 30% weekly. If after 30% they are higher than 10ppm, increase to either 50% weekly or 30% twice weekly. If that still doesnt get you down to 10ppm after water change then you are overstocked. Reduce the number of fish or get a bigger tank.

Thanks Aiken! All the help is very much appreciated!

Yes I’m now using the API master test kit and making sure I shake the bottles/test tube for the required time and reading all measurements at 5mins.

So after this evenings 50% water change we have:
Ammonia - 0-0.25ppm
Nitrites - 0 ppm
Nitrates - 20ppm

So it looks like the tank may have cycled now? The nitrates are down after the water change ��

Looks promising. Continue doing daily water tests. If you see noticeable ammonia or nitrites do 25% water change. If you are consistently getting those 0ppm over say a week, then you can consider your aquarium cycled. You can then cut back on the testing and proceed with weekly water changes.

Back
Top Bottom