Ammonia just won't zero out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shellieca

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just can't seem to get my ammonia levels in my 2 cycling tanks to zero out. They both are a consistent .25. The other parameters for both tanks are 0 nitrItes, 5-10 nitrAtes. The 10g has now been fish in cycling for a month & has 1 Betta & 1 snail, I feed the Betta once a day 4 pellets & drop an algae tab 2 times a week for the snail. The 46g has been fish in cycling for 3 wks has 3 Bettas, 2 CAE's & 2 snails the Bettas are fed 4 pellets each once a day & 5-6 algae tabs are dropped 2 times a week for the snails & CAE's. I also once a week the last couple of weeks have put a slice of zucchini in the 46g. So, am I over feeding or is the ammonia reading pretty much normal at this phase? Suggestions on doing anything different or am I being impatient? I did a 50% water change on both tanks yesterday.

I would check your tap water. If there is any ammonia in your tap either from chloramines in the water or just ammonia, it is going into your tank when you do a water change. That's what switched me over to using Prime as my water conditioner.

If there is no ammonia in your tap then it has to be coming from something in your tank, such as fish waste not being properly consumed because the tank isn't finished cycling or overfeeding (decomposing food produces ammonia).

Silthrim said:
I would check your tap water. If there is any ammonia in your tap either from chloramines in the water or just ammonia, it is going into your tank when you do a water change. That's what switched me over to using Prime as my water conditioner.

If there is no ammonia in your tap then it has to be coming from something in your tank, such as fish waste not being properly consumed because the tank isn't finished cycling or overfeeding (decomposing food produces ammonia).

Tap water has been previously tested, no ammonia. Plus I have another 10g tank that's cycled & shows no ammonia. When I do a water change I vacuum the substrate so there's little waste that sits for very long. I've been doing 50% water changes at least every other day & sometimes daily. I guess the cycling is just taking longer, I thought when the nitrItes disappeared I was very very close. I'll just put my patience hat back on.:)

:) since it's not your tap water, all I could say is wait just like you're doing

Back
Top Bottom