Ammonia levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indigo1975

Aquarium Advice Regular
With a 4 week old tank and filter how long
Does it take to establish the bio filter to
Bring ammonia levels down ...

It's a 55 gallon with a marineland 360 canister

We need more information. Are you fishless cycling, or fish-in? If fish-in, what fish? If fishless, what are you dosing, how much, how often?
Much more information is required as we don't know anything about what you are doing to get the bio-filter established

Hi Jen.. Don't get mad at me... I had the tank going 4 weeks.. Used stress zyme
4 caps 2 times a week and it's 55 gallon yeah and a canister marineland
C-360 I'll post a pic of the tank.... We'll it was going for 3 weeks then on the
24th my brother brought over 6 fish these little minnow looking things
Called tiger barbs and 2 boring looking black mollies... I said hey the tank is not ready yet .. He said don't worry these fish will die in 3 days... We'll I'm not a jerk and I don't want to kill fish .. But these are not the fish I want in my tank and they are still going strong even though the ammonia is outrageous... I keep putting stress zyme in
I changed the water then 3 days later ammonia is still a bit high... I was told the bio filter will take time ... I spared no expense on this tank.. What do I suggest ..

Hi Jen.. Don't get mad at me... I had the tank going 4 weeks.. Used stress zyme
4 caps 2 times a week and it's 55 gallon yeah and a canister marineland
C-360 I'll post a pic of the tank.... We'll it was going for 3 weeks then on the
24th my brother brought over 6 fish these little minnow looking things
Called tiger barbs and 2 boring looking black mollies... I said hey the tank is not ready yet .. He said don't worry these fish will die in 3 days... We'll I'm not a jerk and I don't want to kill fish .. But these are not the fish I want in my tank and they are still going strong even though the ammonia is outrageous... I keep putting stress zyme in
I changed the water then 3 days later ammonia is still a bit high... I was told the bio filter will take time ... I spared no expense on this tank.. What do I suggest ..

Your brother brought you fish you don't want? He sucks! Ugh people should not do that.

Well if all you were doing on this 55, up to this point, was putting in stress zyme you weren't doing anything to cycle it before. So no ammonia source or anything? - pure ammonia, fish food? You should have posted, we could have helped you :( Nothing was happening with no ammonia so anything before the fish went in is unfortunately not a part of the cycle.

So here you are now with fish, so the day the fish went in is day 1 of your cycle, and you start at the very beginning.

Here's your directions, just take a look at this article:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Ohh crap!!! Yeah he brought over fish I don't want
It's sad because I can't get rid of them so
He has a community tank in his house if they need a home
Although the meat head said they would die in 3 days.. Kinda
Cruel if ya ask me ... We'll yeah we put chlorinating removal
Products and stress zyme in it with it running for 3 weeks before
Fish... Thanks Jen

Ohh crap!!! Yeah he brought over fish I don't want
It's sad because I can't get rid of them so
He has a community tank in his house if they need a home
Although the meat head said they would die in 3 days.. Kinda
Cruel if ya ask me ... We'll yeah we put chlorinating removal
Products and stress zyme in it with it running for 3 weeks before
Fish... Thanks Jen
No problem. Unfortunately those chemicals you added with it running were not actually doing anything for the cycle :(
I'm surprised as a fishkeeper he was so blase about giving fish over to die!
You can keep them alive if you work at it though. But if it sounds like too much hassle, give them back and run a fishless cycle on your tank. You just need a source of ammonia, like pure household ammonia that you can get at many hardware stores.

Back
Top Bottom