Ammonia Overdose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Its not that mysterious! For a 10% solution, 0.34 ml is one ppm for 10 gals. One ml is 1 ppm for 30 gals. And so on. here's the math:

All Glass “10 gal” tank, fill to bottom of black trim:
Internal Dimensions: 11inches by 9.75inches by 19.5 inches =
27.94cm x 24.765cm x 49.53 cm = 34271.5 cc = 34.27 liters
or L in x W in x H in x 2.54 cubed (16.387)

Ace Hardware Ammonium10% sol =100grams per liter (or kilogram) = 0.1 grams per ml = 100 mg per ml (remember, an ml of water and a gram of water are the same)
1 ppm is 1 mg per liter (1gram per 1,000,000cc = 1gram per1000Liters =1mg per 1 Liter)
34.27liters x 1 mg/L is 34.27mg in the whole tank filled to bottom of black trim.
34.27mg / 100mg/ml = .34 ml in the tank for 1 ppm.

So yeah, 3 or four drops per gallon is more like 10 to 15 ppm?

JRagg - OUCH ! that must STING like mad !

I think the referene to "pure" ammonia does not mean 100% ammonia, but rather ammonia to which there are no additives (surfacants, soaps, scents, etc).

But you make a good point - it should say that in the article

Oh, I always figured 10 drops per ml? Ther lies a problem, drops are not standardized! But, after doing the math, I did dose the 10 gal tank with 0.34 ml (used a 1 ml syringe) and got 1 ppm, so it holds up.

Thus, a 10 gal tank needs about three drops in total, not three drops per gallon? And 15 ml of a 10% ammonia solution in a standard 10 gal tank is over 40ppm! (15ml X 100 mg/ml = 1500 mg in 34 liters which comes out to 43 ppm or more)

Note that your 10 gal tank does not hold 10 gal of water - Its true!

Well im over it now. I torched my hands. They were definitely very dry from all the "high pH" water.

I think your last calc is spot on Tom. That hits right where I should have been after my water changes too. I didn't use a dropper, I used mL's to dose. I know those test tubes from AP are 5mL so I just filled three of them to the line (15 mL). Now that I find out it should have been 1.5 mL I'm thinking I should get a dropper. From now on so that I can dose 1-2 ppm I will be putting in roughly .3-.7 mL which using the "standard drops per mL" rule (which like you said Tom, is not always right. I think it's based on a standard dropper) would leave me with like 6-12 drops or so (will probably just stick with 6 drops and test to see what I get). Oh well, no harm no foul. No plants in my tank are dead (I hope) and I basically started whatever cycle I had all over since that pH would have likely killed any bacteria I had.

Live and learn.

Back
Top Bottom