Ammonia reducing/nutralizing products

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

French

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Does anyone have any experience using ammonia reducing/nutralizing products.

There ok for very small amounts ammonia :) but if you have levels at 4 or even 8ppm, don't expect it to get rid of all that and should never be replaced of going longer on water changes.

I don't use them myself, waste of money.

You shouldn't need them if your tank is cycled properly. I did use prime in mine everyday for about 2 weeks for the slight rise in ammo and I mean .25ppm after I dirted it but then my bb filter picked up and I haven't had to use it in about a week. I use slightly more prime at water change because my tap has 1ppm ammo. But my bb filter has that gone within 24 hours.
But that is a temperary fix anything more than that is just wasting your money. If your ammo is higher than .25ppm and do a water change. I use prime because it only works for 24hour and just converts it in to a less toxic form of ammo that is still available to the bb.

Hello French...

There's no product that works more effectively than large, weekly water changes. If you have a tank that's well stocked with fish, then you should be removing and replacing half the water in the tank twice a week if you have a tank 20 gallons or smaller. Tanks larger than 20, you'll need to change half the water once a week. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier the inhabitants.

Add to this routine some floating plants like Brazilian water weed or Pennywort and your tank water chemistry will always be stable and safe for your fish and plants.

B

Hello French... There's no product that works more effectively than large, weekly water changes. If you have a tank that's well stocked with fish, then you should be removing and replacing half the water in the tank twice a week if you have a tank 20 gallons or smaller. Tanks larger than 20, you'll need to change half the water once a week. The more water you change and the more often you change it, the healthier the inhabitants. Add to this routine some floating plants like Brazilian water weed or Pennywort and your tank water chemistry will always be stable and safe for your fish and plants. B

Thanks. Just wondering the difference in floating plats vs planted plants?

Hello again French...

I keep mostly plants that require lower light. The floating plants will take in more nutrients than the planted plants, because they're up close to the light source. The floating plants, like the Common water weed and Pennywort, develop many individual roots systems and grow very quickly because of that type of system. The planted plants' root systems don't grow nearly as quickly and will use fewer nutrients. They're not as close to the light source.

Lighting will have a lot to do with growth. But with low light plants, they'll just grow slower naturally.

B

Back
Top Bottom