Ammonia Remover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NewFish1

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is this stuff worth the money and does it really benefit the tank water?

AMMO-CARB® Activated Carbon and Ammonia-Removing Resin - Filter Media - Fish - PetSmart

I have two AquaClear 50 power filters on my 28 gallon tank so I decided to try this stuff in one of the filters. Now I would like to know the opinion of this forum if I should continue to use this. I'm still getting started on my new hobby and I presently only have 9 fish in the tank- 3 Zebra Danio's, 3 Serpae Tetra's and 3 Lemon Tetra's.

BTW- my ammonia has been holding steady at near zero and I believe this is due to water changes.

Thanks!

NewFish1 said:
Is this stuff worth the money and does it really benefit the tank water?

AMMO-CARB® Activated Carbon and Ammonia-Removing Resin - Filter Media - Fish - PetSmart

I have two AquaClear 50 power filters on my 28 gallon tank so I decided to try this stuff in one of the filters. Now I would like to know the opinion of this forum if I should continue to use this. I'm still getting started on my new hobby and I presently only have 9 fish in the tank- 3 Zebra Danio's, 3 Serpae Tetra's and 3 Lemon Tetra's.

BTW- my ammonia has been holding steady at near zero and I believe this is due to water changes.

Thanks!

Are you using the ammonia remover right now? If so, the cause for no ammonia in your water is probably the ammonia remover. I don't recommend using it because like the previous said, it will starve the beneficial bacteria. It would be best to keep doing water changes until the tank is cycled, then you never have any ammonia and you only need to do a 25% water change once a week.

Ditch the ammo remover right away....

9 fish in an uncycled 28gal is quite a bit. Test daily, and keep doing enough water changes to keep your ammonia below 0.25ppm. BTW, what are you testing with? Strips, test kit, what kind??

Phranque said:
Ditch the ammo remover right away....

9 fish in an uncycled 28gal is quite a bit. Test daily, and keep doing enough water changes to keep your ammonia below 0.25ppm. BTW, what are you testing with? Strips, test kit, what kind??

My tank has cycled. The fish are happy and healthy. I had been doing daily+ water changes up until about two weeks ago. I am now doing about every other day changes since the ammonia is near zero, the nitrites are at zero and the nitrates are at around 30. I am using the API Master Freshwater Test Kit.

Mumma.of.two said:
Be aware that when you remove the ammo chips you could get an ammonia spikes. How long have they been in the tank?

According to the API package the chips loose their effectiveness in five days and they've been in there longer than that so I doubt removing them is going to make a difference. I will keep an eye on the ammonia level now that I've removed them though!!

My tank has cycled. The fish are happy and healthy. I had been doing daily+ water changes up until about two weeks ago. I am now doing about every other day changes since the ammonia is near zero, the nitrites are at zero and the nitrates are at around 30. I am using the API Master Freshwater Test Kit.

Sounds like you got a handle on things, except the fact that if you're doing pwc's every other day, and your Nitrates are still upwards of 30 with that bioload.... That's awfully high. If you're using tap water for pwc's, have you tested that for Nitrates??

I just noticed "Southwest Ohio".... Where you at??

Phranque said:
Sounds like you got a handle on things, except the fact that if you're doing pwc's every other day, and your Nitrates are still upwards of 30 with that bioload.... That's awfully high. If you're using tap water for pwc's, have you tested that for Nitrates??

I just noticed "Southwest Ohio".... Where you at??

West Chester/Mason area.

Back
Top Bottom