Ammonia Spikes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amosora

Aquarium Advice Activist
Newbie on the loose... Need to clarify this... If my ammonia did not spike, does this means i still have to wait till it does? Anyways my tank is just 10 days old 2 damsel 1 cbs. 75gal. Be patient with be i still have so much to learn. Thanks

Attachments

• image-2064442463.jpg
    image-2064442463.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 105
Yes, you need to wait longer. The damsels may complicate your cycle, if your local fish store will take them back you can cycle a bit faster with no fish.

If you had no fish, you could put a large ammonia source like a dead shrimp or overfeed it with fish food to speed up the cycle. If you never see an ammonia spike while the shrimp/food gets all consumed by bacteria, then you've had a silent cycle.

The quality of the live rock and the care it got in transit can vastly affect your cycle time. Anything from an extra long cycle because of a large amount of dying stuff on the rock, to an extra short cycle because it has a ton of friendly bacteria and nothing dies on it.

I'd wait at least 6 weeks before calling it a silent cycle. 10 days with no ammonia could just be that the bacteria that break down fish food into raw ammonia have not built up yet.

Back
Top Bottom