Ammonia to maintain a cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aufeis

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm new here but have kept fish for 10 years , I think this is probably the best place for this in the forum.

About my tank, in case it's helpful. It's a standard 48" 55 gallon with sand (pool filter) substrate running a marineland H.O.T. canister filter (250gph) and another cheap old H.O.T filter that I don't think does much other than move water. It's been running for 7 years. It's got 4 30w daylight bulbs and 2 10k 30w bulbs (though I don't run them atm, since the tank is empty sans sand).

The tank is recently empty of fish (as of 2 hours ago) when I traded in my much too large (18" inch) common pleco (purchased at 1.5") which I finally found a fish store that would take him.

I plan on doing a full overhaul of the tank, adding some fluorite under the sand, ordering some plants and adding Co2, but that's neither here nor there.

On to my question, basically I need to know how much ammonia (I've got ace brand 10% ammonia hydroxide) I should add daily to keep my cycle going while I find the things I need? Is it any different than how much should be added when doing a new cycle?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

I'm new here but have kept fish for 10 years , I think this is probably the best place for this in the forum.

About my tank, in case it's helpful. It's a standard 48" 55 gallon with sand (pool filter) substrate running a marineland H.O.T. canister filter (250gph) and another cheap old H.O.T filter that I don't think does much other than move water. It's been running for 7 years. It's got 4 30w daylight bulbs and 2 10k 30w bulbs (though I don't run them atm, since the tank is empty sans sand).

The tank is recently empty of fish (as of 2 hours ago) when I traded in my much too large (18" inch) common pleco (purchased at 1.5") which I finally found a fish store that would take him.

I plan on doing a full overhaul of the tank, adding some fluorite under the sand, ordering some plants and adding Co2, but that's neither here nor there.

On to my question, basically I need to know how much ammonia (I've got ace brand 10% ammonia hydroxide) I should add daily to keep my cycle going while I find the things I need? Is it any different than how much should be added when doing a new cycle?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

See the link below on fishless cycling ... I thing it'll give you the info your looking for.

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

See the link below on fishless cycling ... I thing it'll give you the info your looking for.

The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
From the guide:
22. *How can I keep bacteria alive after my cycle is done?
Your new beneficial bacteria can last quite some time without food, but it is wise to continue feeding them small levels of ammonia every day until you introduce your fish. At this point 4ppm is not necessary, just dose the tank up to around 1ppm of ammonia daily and make sure to do your big pwc the night before adding fish.

Ah, thank you so much. Exactly what I was looking for.

Back
Top Bottom