ammonia zero to 8ppm in 48 hours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daledog

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have done some due diligence on this subject but find myself confused.

MOST of what I read says ammonia is bad, PERIOD.

I have found a few who speak about NEEDING ammonia.
(I will not point fingers)

so I am going with the masses and say we are trying for a zero ammonia amount.

please correct me where I go wrong.

ammonia is created by fish waste and over feeding.
it is neutralized by
a. bacteria
b. plants
c. water change

THE STORY
2 large goldfish
I checked my ammonia and found it was over 8ppm.
did a 75% water change in a 20 gal tank.

added RO water tested to have no ammonia and at 7.0 ph
nitrites 0ppm
nitrates 0ppm

added this bacteria (bought in April)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002DGKBI/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

tank has no substrate.
vacuumed up the bottom as I drained it.

24 hours later the ammonia was 4ppm
48 hours later it was on 8ppm.

today (72hrs) who know how high since the kit only tests up to 8
nitrites2ppm
nitrates 40-60ppm
ph 7.0

WHERE IS IT COMING FROM?
the is no fish droppings on the bottom
I feed them very little. they act like sharks finding chum.
nothing left on the bottom.

I am at a loss as to where to go from here.

How big is your tank, the fish, and how much media do you have to house beneficial bacterial?IMG_9469.JPG

That bacteria-in-a-bottle stuff isn't a reliable way to cycle your tank. If all you did is empty the contents of the bottle and the add fish, then we have found the root of your problem.
The majority of ammonia produced by fish isn't in the form of poop. That's a common misconception thats used to make the nitrogen cycle easier to explain/understand. Yes, the poop will eventually break down into ammonia, but fish excrete ammonia directly (and continuously) as waste via their gills. I say this so that you understand that the absence of poop does not equal the absence of ammonia.
With limited information, I'd guess that your tank isn't cycled and that the two fish might be a tad too large for the tank that they're in making the ammonia concentration build up faster.

Does the tank have a filter? How big are the fish?

" If all you did is empty the contents of the bottle and the add fish, then we have found the root of your proble"

oh ya.
I did measure the amount based on the instructions.
but that about amounts to it.

20 gal tank and the fish are big goldfish.one is about 8 inches the other 6".

this filter
https://www.amazon.com/Marina-A287-...6561&sr=1-4&keywords=Marina+Bio+Carb\+Filters

two big gold fish could do this perhaps?
how do I get the ammonia level down?

20 gal tank and the fish are big goldfish.one is about 8 inches the other 6".

<snip>

two big gold fish could do this perhaps?
how do I get the ammonia level down?
You have way too much fish for your tank.

You will need to do frequent huge water changes until the tank cycles. Probably 90% per day or more.

20 gal tank and the fish are big goldfish.

one is about 8 inches the other 6".
I have some new moss pieces.
I want to grow a mat on the bottom

baby steps

ah MAN!
they were only an inch long when my daughter gave them to me.

you know the kids story about only feeding the first a small amount everyday and it keeps getting bigger and bigger?

real life at my house

90% A DAY?
oh gees,
when I took the tank down to 5 gal they could barely swim. that is 75%

how big a tank do I need to make my life better?

trying to solve an ammonia problem

Last edited by a moderator:
I suppose it depends on the adult size of the goldfish. I've always heard, with fancy goldfish, it's 20gallons for the first and 10gallons more for each additional.
Just as importantly, you need an aquarium that is cycled. The stuff you added likely did little to nothing. Cycling a tank with fish inside requires large daily water changes for about 4 weeks. The filter you have seems to be the bare minimum for the aquarium you have... add that you have too much fish inside and you're not going to have a pleasant time. I'm not saying this to be mean or critical; I just want you to know the truth. You're at a big disadvantage right at the start. It's like you got really drunk and fell down the stairs the night before you run a marathon. Now you're at the starting line with a massive hangover, a twisted ankle and some bruised ribs.
Also, not to add to the bad news, but you can't have a moss mat (or most plants) with goldfish. They'll just eat it.

this just keeps getting better and better.
I do need to hear the facts and appreciate it.

two years ago I got a Bday present from my daughter.
A biodiversity fish tank/herb garden and two tiny goldfish.

the Fish water fed the plants, theoretically.

the herb garden didn't work but the fish grew.
I got them a 5 gallon

the fish grew
I got them a 20 gallon and my "easy" fish tank became more complicated.

I have to pay attention now.

goldfish are big waste producers. You will need a huge tank by the end of their 30 or so life span. I know you don't want to quit them, but a pond would prolly be a better life for them and less stress for you. Dont will then to your daughter (lol) give them the big space they need and get something easier to care for ☺ just my opinion... or you could just keep battling ammonia, because that's all they do besides look cute. Common goldfish are headaches lol

I have been sitting here pondering the situation and coming to that conclusion.
grandma needs a bigger home.

are there rescues for goldfish?
I may have some odd thoughts about life, death and reincarnation, but I am totally serious about the fish situation.

Oh jeez... I thought they were Ryukin or Shubunkin goldfish... the smaller, rounder type. If these are Common type, like you'd win at a carnival, then that's another problem.
First I want to say something nice: Congratulations on keeping them alive for this long. Whether theyre at the carnival or in the feeder tank at the pet store, those fish aren't usually kept in the best conditions and are typically in poor health when you get them. Most die inside a year, so you're doing something right.
As the above post indicated: these fish can live for way longer than you think and can get much larger than you expect. If you don't see yourself in it for the long haul (no judgment) then I'd advise finding them a new home. Don't just drop them off in a random body of water in the wild though. That can have unintended environmental consequences.

Last edited:
I have been sitting here pondering the situation and coming to that conclusion.
grandma needs a bigger home.

are there rescues for goldfish?
I may have some odd thoughts about life, death and reincarnation, but I am totally serious about the fish situation.
Where are you located? I can help try to find some but honestly I would just try to find a friend with a pond. Unless you wanna do big water changes daily

no, the writing on the wall is very clear.
I need to find a foster home and get some fish that are more my speed and tank size.

I appreciate the frank advice.

now I am talking specifically about ammonia and how it gets there, complete with test numbers.

Back
Top Bottom