Ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VulpuixScyther

Aquarium Advice Regular
60 gallon tank
---
2 minnows
10 neon tetras
4 yoyo loaches
3 danios
---
Different variety of plants
---

I bought an Aqueon Water Changer yesterday because lugging buckets from my room to the bathroom was getting old.
Whenever I put it all together I realized that it wouldn't hook up to my sink so I brought it outside to my water hose and didn't test the water before I put it in my tank. I took out about 25% and I filled up the tank, and added the conditioner to the water. Immediately after I filled up my tank, two of my danios died.
When I tested the water, my ammonia level was at .5 to 1 ppm. So I figured this was why those two danios died.

Before I did the water change, my ammonia was at 0. The water from my bathroom sink/tub is a little elevated but it would immediately drop down to 0 the day after I did the water change.

Basically, I don't know what to do. Should I do another water change the old fashion way and see if that helps? Would that effect the bacteria in my tank if I did? Do I wait it out? I just don't want the rest of my fish to die.

So far they're all acting fairly normal. The only noticeable difference is that they hide from me now. Before they would all swarm to the front of the glass when I walked into the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

60 gallon tank
---
2 minnows
10 neon tetras
4 yoyo loaches
3 danios
---
Different variety of plants
---

I bought an Aqueon Water Changer yesterday because lugging buckets from my room to the bathroom was getting old.
Whenever I put it all together I realized that it wouldn't hook up to my sink so I brought it outside to my water hose and didn't test the water before I put it in my tank. I took out about 25% and I filled up the tank, and added the conditioner to the water. Immediately after I filled up my tank, two of my danios died.
When I tested the water, my ammonia level was at .5 to 1 ppm. So I figured this was why those two danios died.

Before I did the water change, my ammonia was at 0. The water from my bathroom sink/tub is a little elevated but it would immediately drop down to 0 the day after I did the water change.

Basically, I don't know what to do. Should I do another water change the old fashion way and see if that helps? Would that effect the bacteria in my tank if I did? Do I wait it out? I just don't want the rest of my fish to die.

So far they're all acting fairly normal. The only noticeable difference is that they hide from me now. Before they would all swarm to the front of the glass when I walked into the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I do water changes like this all the time. Since you didn't test the water outside, go ahead and test it right from the spigot.

This happened to my fiance and I- ended up with 2ppm ammonia out of the tap. Just get a product that neutralizes ammonia temporarily, like prime, add it as directed by the bottle, and wait for it to be processed by your biofilter.

If you used the outside tap my guess would be the temp was around 50 deg. May have caused a quick drop in temp.

Sent from my SM-G386T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom