Amono Shrimps with eggs, i think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

waterlilly

Aquarium Advice Activist
Sorry i have not been a active member for quite some time life i really upsiode down right now so here is my problem :? Okay what i have read about Amano Shrimps (Gohst Shrimps) is they are very hard to breed, hereis my Q our 55 gallon has about 4 or 5 well the 3 biggest look to be carrying eggs for the last 2 months i would say. They are under there belly where there legs are that are mostly folded up, some are like a blackish and some are like a whitish color at one point of time we only had 2 with it then another one showed up with it. Now one of my Q's is are they eggs or something if you want i can do my best to take a picture but cant promiose results and my 2 Q is if they are eggs how long will they carry them or have they not dropped them cause there in no mail to fertalize them? Any help would be greatly appreciated :?

They are under there belly where there legs are that are mostly folded up, some are like a blackish and some are like a whitish color

That would be eggs, yes! :wink:
Now one of my Q's is are they eggs or something if you want i can do my best to take a picture but cant promiose results and my 2 Q is if they are eggs how long will they carry them or have they not dropped them cause there in no mail to fertalize them?

To the best of my knowledge she will carry them for about a month, maybe less. But...99.9% positive that they won't last. Breeding amano shrimp isn't an easy thing to do. The fry need vast amounts of algae in their first hours/days that many people just can't provide. Mom and Dad will eat the young too. It's best if you can/want to try to raise them to stick mom in the breeding tank(meaning you'd need a tank dedicated solely to raising the shrimp) until she releases the eggs, and then move her back to your main tank.

With no male this time around however, the eggs will just...die. She will keep laying them probably, but they won't be fertilized.

Okay so basically she will relay eggs but for how long or how many times? Does it have to do with the time of year cause here it is late Summer, is there a way to tell the male from the females or is that just a stroke of luck,lol :|. Im still very confused about this if u can tell and we really where wanting to spawn them it just happend by chance that they showed up with eggs. Thanks again for ur reply

A quick google on the subject says that they lay in the late spring/summer times of the year. There are many fish that lay eggs constantly, but nothing ever comes of them because they simlply aren't fertilized. No way to tell between male and female with shrimp, that I know of. Seems like you were very excited about having the eggs, and want them to spawn.

Here is a good site about their basic care:
http://www.suiso.com/v2/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2

And another that outlines breeding attempts and the setups used:
http://users.skynet.be/caridina-japonica/

Good luck!

Yeh i was excited at first but i knew nothing would ever come from the eggs i guess you can say that i was proud that they felt enough at home to produce the eggs cause what little i found on the breeding said that they normally dont do that in this type of setting. Now i just find it a pain in the behind cause the are still carrying these things around and it looks tacky lol :roll: but thanks all for ur replys and thanks for the sites i wil check into them.

Back
Top Bottom