An uninvited guest!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Stuart

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi there - a buddy of mine has just started up a mini-reef tank and has found an uninvited guest. Presumably from his Java Live Rock.

Of course, the question is - is it friendly or does it need removing post haste?

ufocrab2hq4.jpg

I would rather play it safe and remove it. It's either an eventual fish killer, snail killer, or hermit killer imo.

I agree, those beefy claws scream preditory. No doubt when it gets larger, other inverts in the tank will fall prey. If there is a sump/fuge area, he would do well there as a clean up critter.

I am sorry but I could not stop laughing at this one. I probably would have asked when I was new but look at that face!

That is the angriest looking crab I have ever seen :twisted:

He Looks French......

I wonder how he'd get along with Coco, my puffer......:)

That is a Mithrix crab, chances are is that it is actually tank and reed safe. Those claws arent any beefier than those on a green emerald or anenome crab, with are both known to be reef safe. If anything, my banded anemone crab has much larger claws..that he uses to clean algae with..

I think you are right Jarred, I am just used to seeing the emerald.
Stuart, what is he eating?

can you post pics of just claws. they seem to have a gap designed for picking things off rocks. if there isnt a gap between the claws then its designed for catching, crushing and cutting prey items.

I like that last strategy. I find that looking closely and trying to think it through has been a real pleasure in this hobby.

Okay I would like to add that I have one of these guys similar. My lawnmower blenny disappeared probably 2-3 months ago. I think this guy might be the cause. Im setting up a coke bottle to put some food in so that he might crawl in there and not be able to get out. I set it up the other night and caught 4 of my hermits. lol My crab is purple. He came with my rock im guessing. I've seen this crab(looks exactly like mine, except a different purple) tearing pieces of rock. He's got killer claws. I would try to get rid of it as soon as possible. It would probably be great for your refugium or something.

mrcrazypants05, a glass might work better for crabs, they can get in but not back out.

The pop bottle worked alright... I mean it caught my hermits. Maybe the other guy has strong legs or something. lol I'll try the glass thing. One of the problems is getting the krill and whatever else I put in there to actually stay in there.

Back
Top Bottom