andrews 20 g reef transition build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that you should stain it, but it is ultimately your choice.
This probably isn't a big decision because the light would make it so you can't see the mount but if you do care about the coloration I think that if you stain it it would match the chest.

i think i decided that I am going to stain it, but I'm going to cover the support bar, with some veneer before staining it.
img_2663952_0_e5890a5c9324fa9fba39e152f0d55a32.jpg

i finished mounting the lights!!! man is it hard work, using screws with just a screwdriver ;) don't mind the mess, its laundry day lol
img_2663952_1_084a6184faf55d59d0c64e7a66531fa9.jpg

img_2663952_2_344a4ad2260d0eeba587d78f16ba7377.jpg

Anyone have some suggestions on a decent camera, around 200-250$? I'm really getting sick of my iphone pics

lol that was pretty weird. i'm contemplating making my own HOB refugium, so i can make it 30 inches long. how many gallons should i make it, without putting too much stress on the sides?

I was considering doing this and stopped when I realized it was gonna cost a fortune to have it done.

If you really want a hob refugium I would suggest that you make it as big as possible but have the majority of the weight resting on standing mounts resting on the floor. The bigger the refugium the more effect it will have on your tank.

That's what I want. A tank of clowns. They are so cute

They are cute but they are also bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. One pair per tank is your beat bet. Others have tried to keep multiple pairs in tanks up to 150g+ and just had them kill each other.

looks good, I had the same light over y 20 gallon. I also love how the fans are build into the fixture. I am planning on getting a pair for my new 40 gallon that I will be setting up.

hope your not planning to open up that chest... :)

I was considering doing this and stopped when I realized it was gonna cost a fortune to have it done. If you really want a hob refugium I would suggest that you make it as big as possible but have the majority of the weight resting on standing mounts resting on the floor. The bigger the refugium the more effect it will have on your tank. They are cute but they are also bastard coated bastards with bastard filling. One pair per tank is your beat bet. Others have tried to keep multiple pairs in tanks up to 150g+ and just had them kill each other.

now that i am going to be transferring everything over and it wont be on my dresser, i will have room for a sump next to it. i don't wan't to drill the tank so i am going to do a hob overflow and probably use the 20 high as a sump. man is this stuff expensive lol

looks good, I had the same light over y 20 gallon. I also love how the fans are build into the fixture. I am planning on getting a pair for my new 40 gallon that I will be setting up. hope your not planning to open up that chest... :)

thanks :) the chest is filled with baby stuff and i recently got it back from my dad. before that it hadn't been opened in 10-15 years so i don't plan on opening it ;)

sorry i haven't had any updates, I've been working a lot. today is a sad day D: i woke up to my black oc stuck in the impeller of the aquaclear powerhead. he didn't make it :( I'm so pissed off and sad right now. all the water parameters are good, the only sign of illness i saw, was internal parasites that i will be starting treatment with praziquantil this week for the other clown. i didn't think that would kill it this fast? could it be something much worse under my hands? or could the powerhead have killed him? the only thing wrong with the water, is that the dead clownfish caused an ammonia spike only to .25 ppm

here we go guys, time for a real update ;) i bought 21 more lbs of dry rock, to make a total of about 45-50lbs.
here is a picture of the new rock in the 29
img_2674943_0_7ef84e102026e21ddfc80253b385bae1.jpg

and all of the other rock transferred over!!! :)
img_2674943_1_2274b687124ff900325a8c71477154a7.jpg

img_2674943_2_2f0f54270b07c19a26b679f9ab557960.jpg

will post better pics tomorrow when its cleared up more. what do you guys think, should i use the 20 high as a sump with a hob overflow? or should i just go with 1/3 and do a 10 gallon?

since you bought the 20 gallon short time ago would it be possible to return it? If it is then I think a 20 gallon long sump is more manageable because it gives you a bigger footprint for a refuge, return and spot for protein skimmer. However if it is not possible I'm sure that you can find a way to make an awesome sump out of it. Also make sure that there are no dead spots in the middle of that rock pile. The more flow over the rocks the better because it is you natural filter. so the more surface area of the rocks that is exposed the better.

since you bought the 20 gallon short time ago would it be possible to return it? If it is then I think a 20 gallon long sump is more manageable because it gives you a bigger footprint for a refuge, return and spot for protein skimmer. However if it is not possible I'm sure that you can find a way to make an awesome sump out of it. Also make sure that there are no dead spots in the middle of that rock pile. The more flow over the rocks the better because it is you natural filter. so the more surface area of the rocks that is exposed the better.

I've had the 20 gallon for a pretty long time lol. i don't have room for another 30 inch tank next to it, otherwise i would definitely do a 20 long. I'm thinking of just going with the 10, so i won't need as powerful of a light to grow macro algae. i plan to have one section the drain pipe and macro algae, than the middle the skimmer and then the third the return pump

that would be fine, the bigger tank is not needed to have a *****in tank anyways. Have any plans on set up of the sump. this is my current design but is desgined for a bigger sump.
just an example for you to figure stuff out.

Attachments

• image-1492153793.jpg
    image-1492153793.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 93
that would be fine, the bigger tank is not needed to have a *****in tank anyways. Have any plans on set up of the sump. this is my current design but is desgined for a bigger sump.
just an example for you to figure stuff out.

What type sand is used for the sand bed? Anything special?

Your diagram really explains things out. Thanks for sharing

i found a little brittle starfish.
img_2677889_0_f85e5591617c69869b07e2562cac6e87.jpg

how the heck did it survive me dosing to 4ppm ammonia?!? i see a few mini feather dusters too, they look cool under these lights

the blue mushroom has opened up quite a bit
img_2682044_0_06db6c3a8c2162f006f3b93e0b6ac04c.jpg

can anyone give me a positive id on this?
img_2682044_1_b56289b6511e59dea113a04e4b4a0930.jpg

they are growing on a dead candy cane frag

Back
Top Bottom