Anemone can't find a spot to attach.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonForce

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Reef tank

nitrates 5
nitrites 0
ammonia 0
ph 8.1

This long tentacle anemone is having a hard time finding a spot to attach in my 37 gal. I decided to just let him do his own thing after trying to help him out 2-3 times after he got stuck under a rock. The anemone itself looks flawless. It is fairly small. I tried turning all powerheads off for about 8 hours today and no luck. He is definatly moving about in the tank, he started off today in plain view next to the glass, I just got back from sushi and he was under a peice of LR. His mouth is nice and tight, color looks fine. A peice of food fell into his tentacles today and he ate it. Anyone have any ideas or have heard of this before. I was reading that they can have a hard time finding an attachment spot in a reef tank. Should I let him be? Taking it back really isn't an option, it will probably stress even more if I attempt to take it back from the place my friend purchased it. Thanks in advance.

What indy says. There is nothing that you or anyone else can do to make the anemone stay in one spot. It has been said that if they move around a lot they are not happy with their environment. What it does not like no one knows... Maybe lighting not enough/too much, water quality/type we just don't know.
Not sure what different answers your looking for. This in an anemone and it will go where it wants thats just the way it is. Some times they stay in one spot some times they move.
Try and find a local reefer to take it if the LFS is no good.
As long as its eating just let it be unless its bothering your corals, then you need to make a discission..
Good luck..
Are you using ro/di or tap water? forgot from the last post.

As they've both said, you have to let it find it's own spot. By "helping it" and turning off your powerheads your actually making it more difficult for the anenome to find a place to roost. It wants to find a spot with just the right lighting, just the right waterflow and just the right footing. if you change things around while its looking it has to start all over again. THe only thing I would suggest is to be sure there are spots higher up that it could attach to if it wants, places with a little shade from the light and places with different amounts of water flow. other than that just run your tank as you normally would. It will wander around until it finds what it wants.

With the 175W MH lighting shouldnt be an issue. The anenome will be looking for a location it likes that has the right mix of water flow and light intensity. This is one of the worst aspects of an anenome is that while it does move around finding its home its stinging the heck out of any other corals.

Dragonforce,

I can totally relate to your desire to help him find a spot. When I first got mine he moved all over the tank and I really wanted him to settle down. After about two weeks he found his spot and has grown like crazy!

If there is one positive thing I can say about reef tanks it is that they cultivate patience in their owners. You must be patient with the livestock and the water.

How old is the tank? If your tank is not fully mature, you may have a problem. Anemones are very difficult to make happy. Otherwise, just give it some time and he will find a spot.

My advice is the same as it was in your other thread. Let the anemone alone. It's not uncommon for them to settle under ledges or behind rocks. This may be where it decides to stay. You have the same amount of light I do and my lta stays toward the bottom of the tank. They aren't a high light species.
Also, taking it back to any lfs is always an option. It can't be any more stressful than being in a tank where it is unhappy. Also, if it's not working out, donating it to a local reef club is always another option. In CA, I'm sure there are tons of clubs to choose from. For now though, since it has seemed to have settled to one spot, it seems otherwise healthy, and you still want to make a go of it, I'd watch and wait. If the pattern continues where it won't settle and the anemone stops eating, is gaping or loosing color, it is time to find it another home.

I agree just let it travel till it finds Home. Sometimes we try to help and it dont work. He will find it

Back
Top Bottom