Anemone looks sick

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greggles

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi I've had an anemone in my tank for about a month and it seems to have thinned out loads since i've had it and it's mouth is open for most of the time.

Been feeding it shrimp and blood worm 1-2 per week. tried mussels but it wouldn't take them. am i feeding it the right things?

each day it seems to be getting thinner and thinner with fewer tentacles each I've attached a pic. is this normal?

tank 130 litres
Ammonia 0
Nitries 0
nitrates 10

Attachments

• 2012-11-17 21.30.07.jpg
    2012-11-17 21.30.07.jpg
    229.4 KB · Views: 101
What types of light are you running , anemones needs very good water quality , strong flow and intense lighting , with out theses 3 , most likely it's going to die

Greggles said:
Hi I've had an anemone in my tank for about a month and it seems to have thinned out loads since i've had it and it's mouth is open for most of the time.

Been feeding it shrimp and blood worm 1-2 per week. tried mussels but it wouldn't take them. am i feeding it the right things?

each day it seems to be getting thinner and thinner with fewer tentacles each I've attached a pic. is this normal?

tank 130 litres
Ammonia 0
Nitries 0
nitrates 10

What kind of lights do you have? The body of the nem looks pretty light in color. :(

Thanks for the replies.
the tank has 2 T8 lights, 18w. which I'm now finding out are not great for running a marine tank. I'm thinking of upgrading them if i can (i need a project!) and although Its a relatively small tank it think I have a little space to get better lights plumbed into the lid than I have at the moment. do you have a recommendations on what I should look for?

As for water flow, I have a small wavemaker in there at the moment and redirected it to other areas of the tank as the clown fish did not seem to cope with the increased flow over the nem (am i just being silly?!). should I increase the flow?

As for improving the Water quality, the tank has been reasonably stable for a while now (about 9 mths old) but I was thinking of installing a small sump if it will improve the water further (will have to be small as I only have about 20"l x 10"deep to play with inside the cabinet) but this will be some time before i can get this up and running and I'm not sure whether it's even worth it for the size of the tank. in the meantime I could get a skimmer (currently running of an external filter filled with LR) But i have no idea what I'm looking for :( do you have any recommendations for size/make/things to look for?

sorry for all the questions? Can you tell I'm new to all this :)
Any help would appreciated!

Back
Top Bottom