Anenome help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tipton34

Aquarium Advice Freak
My Anenome has been looking all shriveled up, but then after some time it opens back up and looks very healthy. All my parameters are perfect. Any ideas?

Tipton34 said:
My Anenome has been looking all shriveled up, but then after some time it opens back up and looks very healthy. All my parameters are perfect. Any ideas?

Hows yout lighting?

The tank is 70 gallons. I have a t-5 HO! 4 bulbs with a total of 156 watts. Two 10000k and two actinics

Tipton34 said:
The tank is 70 gallons. I have a t-5 HO! 4 bulbs with a total of 156 watts. Two 10000k and two actinics

Add any new food or chemicals?

None other than a drop of iodine every other day for my coral

bigben2057 said:
Thats not enough light. Anemones need 4 plus watts per gallon your at 2.2 quite low.

I think this would depend on how deep, etc the nem is from the surface wouldn't it?

Nems will often close up a little at night and will really shrink to expel waste. Its normal for nems to close now and again. I would only worry if it stays closed up for more than a day. As long as its mouth is not gaping open you should be ok.

JustinKBreen said:
Nems will often close up a little at night and will really shrink to expel waste. Its normal for nems to close now and again. I would only worry if it stays closed up for more than a day. As long as its mouth is not gaping open you should be ok.

Kinda sounds like not enough light nems usually do better under more powerful lighting or perhaps your bulbs are older idk

Kinda sounds like not enough light nems usually do better under more powerful lighting or perhaps your bulbs are older idk

Agree not enough light and also dosing iodine can be dangerous, you dont need it if you are doing basic water changes, also never dose anything that you are not testing for.

The Anenome is only 8 inches under the surface when it is perched on top of the rock

Tipton34 said:
The Anenome is only 8 inches under the surface when it is perched on top of the rock

How old are the bulbs? What are you dosing the iodine for?

The bulbs are brand new. I was told to dose iodine for my coral

Tipton34 said:
The bulbs are brand new. I was told to dose iodine for my coral

I wouldn think youd need to dose iodine unless you have a certain coral that requires extra iodine usually your salt mixture will have enough ive never dosed it just my experience im not sayin what your doin is wrong

danbstrong said:
I wouldn think youd need to dose iodine unless you have a certain coral that requires extra iodine usually your salt mixture will have enough ive never dosed it just my experience im not sayin what your doin is wrong

How does your nem look today?

Tipton34 said:
Ammonium-0
Nitrite-0
Nitrate-10
Salinity-1.024

What about ph and alk and cal one thing i noticed in my aquarium is any fluctuation in alk and my coral stress im talkin minor fluctuation for my aquarium it seems that alk dictates wether or not my coral are happy i keep it at 12 dkh

Back
Top Bottom