Angel Feeding habits...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JasonC

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all,

Does anyone have any good resources (hopefully over internet, but print is okay too) on the feeding behaviours/preferences of angel fish? I am trying to figure out how to get my new angels a little more excited about feeding, and willing to get into the fray w/ the school of rasboras to secure their meals. I am currently feeding a mix of dry flake, floating pellet, dried bloodworms, and frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp.

I am not only curious about what kinds of foods they find yummy, but where in the water column they like to feed... IE: do I need to add a sinking pellet into my feeding regimine?

Thanks!!

My single Angel, finally got one to survive, like all my other fish has learned to come to the surface to feed. But when I add algae wafers it will go down and peck at those after all the flake is gone. Also I find it like pecks at my Wisteria in particular but doesnt seem to eat much of it(not sure what its about?)

The Angel deff gets excited when I walk by the tank and thinks its feeding time.

I feed my two angels flake food, freeze dryed bloodworms, pellet tropical food, and they like eating the algae wafers for the pleco. They're a little slower than the other fish but they have the biggest mouths so the pellets work great being that the other fish can't eat them in one go and end up spitting them out and they get eaten by the angels.

Healthy angelfish should eat energetically at the top of the tank. My angels all race to the top of the tank when I raise the lid for feeding.

They have only been in the tank 2 weeks. Is it worth assuming that they may not be comfortable yet? They are spending a lot of time hiding at the back of the tank.

Nice to know that I am feeding the right things though.

My Angel(s)(went through like 3 to get one that was large and survived more then 2weeks). Some started being active, but would then become slugish and die. This last one was the largest I could find and is doing great.

I chalk it up to bad stock as the other fish I have gotten from people on the net have been much hardier than the couple angles I got locally.

Mine did this at first, they were shy, now I cant walk past the tank without them bolting to the top and trying to get my attention.

I feed my tank, frozen freshwater mix( brine,bloodworms,different algaes,) color enhancing flake and some betta pellets, algae wafers and sinking pellets for the loaches and cats.

Usually fish will be comfortable in a tank within 2 weeks. That is not to say that your angels aren't the exception to the rule. Keep a close eye on them.

What does your tank look like? happen to have a picture, I know angels like cover and a good amount of it.

Usually fish will be comfortable in a tank within 2 weeks. That is not to say that your angels aren't the exception to the rule. Keep a close eye on them.

Anything specific that I should keep my eyes open for? I am so hoping these are the exception to the rule... don't need to deal with sick fish again for a good long time...

What does your tank look like? happen to have a picture, I know angels like cover and a good amount of it.

I will try to grab a picture in the morning. But basics, medium heavily decorated w/ plastic plants. They like to spend time in the back behind the background row of "plants". when you say "cover" though, you talking about the density of plants, or are you actually talking about surface cover?

Watch for any whitish cottony spots. Sunken stomachs, stringy whitish poo. I hope as well that they are the exception to the rule. Keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom