Angel fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gtadams

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, only got a 33 gal tank so am limited as to the size of fish I keep, understandable that I'm in love with angel fish, do any of you know what are the smaller full grown angel fish I could keep, mAny thanks.
Greig.

If your set on angels. I believe you could do one pair of standard fin koi angels and no other stock. they would max the tank out IMO. If you do go that route. I would strongly suggest planning a larger tank within a year

Last edited:
Is that a freshwater angel? Koi? Are you wanting to know saltwater? If saltwater there are no angel fish suitable for that size I am afraid. Must be time for an upgrade ;)

I would not keep dwarf angels in that small of a tank. 75g for most. Flameback and Cherub pygmy angels are okay for 55g. If you absolutely must have one, I'd go with one of those.

Putting fish in smaller than recommended tanks very often leads to problems. They are stressed, which lowers their immune system, which opens them up to diseases. It can also create territorial issues that lead to aggression. When you look at all of the daily "my fish has something wrong" posts in the Sick Fish section of this site, almost every one is a fish that's in a " too small" tank.

If tanks to small can cause flame to attack other fish. I've only been doin sw for bout yr and got a 33g tank and think its overstocked at min, guy in shop is only after the money as have asked bout fish and what can go in tank and he just says it will b fine if do water changes every wk

Thanks guys, much appreciated. Unfortunately a bigger tank is not an option cause my tank just new, know its on the small side but its great beginners tank, upgrade in a few years if all goes well.

Sorry for double posting btw.

If you put in fish for that size, things should be fine. Angels get really big, Dwarf Angels are relatively small, but need space to swim (much like Tangs) and the smallest like Flamebacks and Cherubs still need a little more. Smaller tanks wont kill them, but it often causes problems.

Use places like liveaquaria.com for tank size recommendations, compatibility, etc. stay within those guidelines and you will save yourself from a lot of trouble.

Back
Top Bottom