Angel is eating BN Pleco :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just turned on the tank lights and found my Angel with my baby albino BN pleco stuck in his mouth.

I have no idea of whether the angel found an opportunity or if the pleco suddenly died overnight.

It doesn't look like he can manage to swallow the fish and has been swimming around like this for since 10:00 EST.

Any suggestions?

I would net the angel, wrap it with a damp with tankwater papertowel, and hold it down. remove the pleco softly with fingers or forceps/tweezers if need be.

Thanks for the tip Hara. Unfortunately, during the net chase, she managed to get the entire fish into her mouth. I tried to get to the fish during the advised procedure but couldn't go to far as not to cause additional harm.

She's back in the tank...not looking well at all. The vigil begins now.

Thanks FF - I moved the thread to the "Unhealthy Fish" forum.

It's entirely possible that the BN was already gone. I can't imagine it being hunted. The fin movement may have been due to the current.

Anywho...she is looking better...seems the fish has moved and she is breathing...albeit laborously.

Sorry to hear about the baby BN. I hope your angel will be alright. It's strange how these things happen sometimes. The fish are lucky to have you JC, you will look after her right.

Thanks guys. I always joked about how greedy these guys were. In all this time, none of them had ever managed or wanted to eat any of my other fish. :roll:

Mouth is still open...this will take some time.

Gees, Jchillin. Sorry to hear about your baby BN. My angles obliterate anything small in my tank. They are mean little buggers, so IMO, it's possible for them to hunt like that. Or, maybe I just have mean angels. :roll:

Hope she pulls through. :|

You know, Angels might be some of the meanest FW fish out there. Or maby they wish they were the meanest fish out there. It just seems like I read more and more stories about Angels being mean. They are so cool though, and definately have personalities. Sorry about your baby BN JChillin. Was that the only baby?

Fortunately I have three more. They are in the 75 gal. I still love em', though I wish he had picked on some other, less expensive, easier to obtain fish...hint :wink:

My neons did too but suprisingly my angels never touch the guppies. Although I don't have the fry in with them. :mrgreen:

Wow, I never new how big angels must get to be able to eat a grown adult guppy 8O ! Well, in the sore you just see them as little bitty.

Sorry for your loss, Jchillin :cry: ! How is she doing? Did she completely swallow the BN pleco now? Maybe the panic of not being able to swallow it first will teach her not to go after your rare fish :wink: .

Back
Top Bottom