Angel Ram with Popeye?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arok2092

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all,
I've been trying to treat my Angel Ram for several weeks now for Popeye and his eye hasn't gotten any better. I'm not 100% sure its Popeye but I have a posted a picture to help get verification. For clarification only 1 eye is swollen. And it has tons of pus(?) around it.

He is currently in a 2 gallon quarantine tank and I have treated him twice with Melafix when he was still in his 20 gallon tank. Then I put him in the quarantine tank and treated him with Maracyn One and Epsom Salt (rate of 1Tbsp/5gallon).

Tank parameters:
pH: 8.5
Alkalinity: 720
Hardness: 150
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

Basically I'm all out of ideas on how to treat this and he still acts normal, but I fear it will only get worse and never better. What treatments/medicines do you suggest I try? His name is General RAAM and I really really care for him. He's a sweet and cool fish. Please help.

Attachments

• P1000684.JPG
    P1000684.JPG
    187.3 KB · Views: 82
Can anyone please help? I really want him to get better.

Also, Some Popeye stays with the fish forever, my jack Dempsey I believe sadly will have it for his life. But this looks like a severe case. Those parameters, were they in the quarantine tank or the original tank?

I don't have an ammonia count but I'll do that in the morning. He wasn't bullied until his eye started getting bad. But even then not very much. Those parameters were from the 20 gallon tank. But I'll test the water in the quarantine tank and post that on here then. He is fed NutraFin Max, and New Life Spectrum TheraPlusA Regular Formula. About half a pinch is all I feed him.

These are the most recent tank stats:
ph 8.1, ammonia .5 ppm, nitrite 0, nitrate 0-5ppm, and alk 720 hard 150

From what ik, Popeye comes around when a fish is stressed or scared or isn't getting enough variety of food. With the pussiness, makes me think he either injured it or ur params aren't good.

Your params seem fine. Your feeding him good foods, maybe u could try one more small feeding? Other than that idk.... I hope someone else can chime in...

Thanks for trying at least.

He seems more upset being alone and barely eats. But he eats quite well when he is with the other fish. Do you think it would be okay to put him back with all the others?

If he acts worse in the quarantine and ur sure there's no bullying then yes, put him back in the regular tank. Just keep a close eye. Until he heals keep the water pristine.

Update: The Angel Ram died a few days later, I believe my constant attempts to give him meds and quarantining him was what led to his demise.

:(

bon voyage General RAAM

Back
Top Bottom