Angel vs. Angel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ksfishguy

Aquarium Advice Freak
My marble has just about harrassed my gold veil to death. I don't think he/she will make it til morning. The marble has been chasing it around and around for a few days.

I have a 42 gallon hexagon that currently has:

2 Angels (one pretty soon, both about 4-4.5 inches tall)
7 Harlequin Rasboras
2 Swordtails (1 male, 1 female)
1 GBR (male)
1 Bristlenose Pleco
2 SA Bumblebee Catfish

I don't think I can add anymore Angels, my marble is aggressive but absolutely beautiful, mostly black with a little white, gold, and even a blue spot).

I was thinking about adding another swordtail female or two...

Any stocking suggestions?

Thanks!

Attachments

• goldveilresize_788.jpg
    goldveilresize_788.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 40
IMO, the shape of a hexagon tank makes it way more difficult to stock than a normal tank, even though I agree it looks really cool. The problem, as you probably know, is that fish appreciate horizontal swimming space more than vertical space, which makes it more difficult for your fish to claim territories... although that doesn't always help with fighting angels. IMO the aggression will likely not improve, and you will have to find a new home for one of your angels. Adding another female swordtail or two would be fine, or you could bump up the numbers in your rasbora school, or you could add 1 or 2 female GBR (as long as you are prepared to rehome the extra female if/when a pair forms).

I'm in the middle of dealing with the same thing from my two angels. Fortunately, I think the aggression between mine is calming... I too agree with sev on the stocking suggestions. That's a tough tank to stock, but is great for lots of smaller fish. A few more gbr's and some more rasbora's to make a nice big school would be pretty cool. Good Luck!

Well, my prediction was right, I lost the gold veil overnight. I should have taken it back to the LFS...I won't make that mistake again. It must have been a territorial dispute, my marble is sitting right where the gold veil used to hang out. I think the marble is looking for the gold veil as well.

I everyone for their advice. I believe I will get a few more female swordtails and some more rasboras. I may hold off on the GBR's, they are fragile and I can't take losing anymore fish for awhile.

Thanks again, time to head to the LFS...

P.S. I added a picture of my gold veil to my original message...

Kongo said:
it would have been nice if you used latin names for the fishes.

When a member is asking for help, that is first and foremost. Using the latin names for fish is completely up to the individual and is not required of this forum.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

I didn't understand some of them, thats why i said it. Didn't mean to offend.

By the way, some Apistogramma Cacatuoides would have been a nice addition to the stock.

ksfishguy- I'm really sorry about your loss. Don't feel bad about not trading in your gold veil, just chalk it up to a lesson learned; there are always lessons to learn in this hobby and I've learned plenty of them the hard way as well. I think you'd do well to make this a one-angel tank, and bump up the numbers of some of your other species, as you mentioned. Good luck and post pics of your new additions!

Good news, one of my lfs got a shipment in yesterday. I picked up three red velvet swordtails (two female). These new additions go well with my pair of pineapple swords. I can't get over the color of the red velvets, they look great swimming with my mostly black marble angel.

Back
Top Bottom