Angel with Fungus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyLover

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My Mom came home with a new little angelfish the 3rd, I QTed her for a week but the tank started to leak so I was forced to put her in my tank. I was away for the weekend so I was a few days over due on my pwcbut I just upgraded my filter so that shouldnt have been much of a problem. When I got home I inspected everyone and didnt notice anything out of the ordinary. Last night I noticed the lttle angel wouldnt eat, I looked her over and behind her eye she had a white raised patch..I thought it was a tumor Nd figured there was nothing I could do. I just left the house after feeding them and now it has spread to the other side of her and looks like a fungus. I'll upload pics as soon as I get home. How should I go about treating her?? Sorry for the book :)

Pics will help! How are the water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate)? If you upgraded your filter, did you move the filter media from the old filter into the new filter? If you didnt move the old filter media into the new filter, you may be in for some problems beyond your angels situation. You mentioned your qt tank was leaking-do you have any other options for qt her? If you dont, a large plastic storage bin 20-40gal size (walmart @$15-20) with a filter & air (bubbler, air stone) can work as an emergency qt tank. Dose the water with aquarium salt (as you would for ich) for now. This should help her with her mucous coat until things are figured out. Lets start there & hopefully you can get some pics so we can figure this out!

jlk said:
Pics will help! How are the water parameters (amm/nitrite/nitrate)? If you upgraded your filter, did you move the filter media from the old filter into the new filter? If you didnt move the old filter media into the new filter, you may be in for some problems beyond your angels situation. You mentioned your qt tank was leaking-do you have any other options for qt her? If you dont, a large plastic storage bin 20-40gal size (walmart @$15-20) with a filter & air (bubbler, air stone) can work as an emergency qt tank. Dose the water with aquarium salt (as you would for ich) for now. This should help her with her mucous coat until things are figured out. Lets start there & hopefully you can get some pics so we can figure this out!

Thanks for replying!! I just did a pwc last night so nitrates are around 0-5 and everything else is 0. I resealed the qt and now have a betta, 3 minnow fry, and 3 rummynose tetras. I have had the fry since they hatched so I know they dont have anything and I heve had the rummys and betta for almost 2 weeks so I'm pretty sure they are good. Should I put her back in the qt with the current stock and treat her?

Can you possibly qt her by herself? If she needs more than just salt and your other fish arent sick, i would wouldnt want to subject them to treatment if its not necessary. Im glad your water parameters look good! Keep an eye on them because healthy water does wonders for sick fish!

jlk said:
Can you possibly qt her by herself? If she needs more than just salt and your other fish arent sick, i would wouldnt want to subject them to treatment if its not necessary. Im glad your water parameters look good! Keep an eye on them because healthy water does wonders for sick fish!

I just got home and she passed away :( Thank you so much for your help, I truly appreciate it. I think there might have been an underlying illness that caused her to die so young and quickly. If I post pictures of her could you try and see if it was fungus??

Im SOO sorry!!! Yes, we can take a look at the pics (if you want to post them....) but i will let you know that fungus is an opportunistic disease. This means something else was wrong to weaken her immune system to allow the fungus to grow. Your water conditions did not cause any additional stress to weaken her immune system and i suspect she was most likely ill when you purchased her. :(

Back
Top Bottom