Angelfish and Danios

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

confusedfishmom

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has anyone had success with angels and glofish or other danios. Aqua advisor says the glofish would be food for my angels possibly, but I would like to add some additional fish in to my tank to see if I can get my bully angel to leave the other angel alone. I've got 3 angels, a pleco, in 40 gal tank. I really loved the glofish but not sure if they'd be quick enough to escape the angels.

I had danios with mine and only one get eaten. But than again it was 280 gallon tank so there was a lot of places to hide. I think what is going on in your tank is you have 2 males and a female and the males are fighting to win the female. And if that is the case getting other fish might not help at all. If you can I would move the bullied angel to a different tank.

Are the angels full grown? Adult angels usually treat any new small fish as food, but baby angels are usually fine with small fish if they grow up with them. Danios are pretty quick, so I'd think they'd be far safer than Cardinals, which are much more eye catching to the angel and slow yet are the most common suggested schooling fish to put with them.

I've read on these forums somewhere that once a pair of angels have bonded, to take the third back because of issues like you're describing.

I'm not sure it's a bond. That's certainly possible. If that is the case they bonded on like day 2. I do not want a bonded pair, but the bully is my favorite fish. He eats from my hand. But he's quite an A-hole. The issue may be that the one being picked on is smaller. But the bully relentlessly targets the fish. I thought some other type of fish might distract him enough to give him something else to do? :)

I have no idea on what to do from here, except maybe have a timeout tank, or possibly a second tank to keep him in permanently?

Yeah I'm likely going to take him back to the lfs. I may try to introduce some new fish in the tank and see if the bully terrorizes them too. I probably need to get rid of the bully. He's just so cute when he's not so mean.

You could take back the other two and see if that helps

Confused....I have 75 gal with 6 full grown angels and two have paired off. Full grown angels are very territorial especially a breeding pair. I have a rubber nose pleco, 1 zipper loach, and 6 panda cories. But they all pretty much "grew" up together. I was told by and angel guru that if you re arrange ur tank it throws the angels off and everyone will have to re-establish territory. It works most of the time. You can try it and see if it works for you.

Back
Top Bottom