Angelfish or ... ? And how many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm moving up from a 29 to a 56 column. This begins the "what fiah do I add" conundrum!

I have an assortment of small danios, tetras, harlequin Rasboras, otos, and pygmy (1.5") loaches. It's about 105% stocked at 29 gallons.

Given that the 56 doesn't have the surface area of a 55 I suspect I need to stock less than a 55 ... ?

I would love to add two angels, making some use of the vertical space. Aquadvisor says it's ok, along with filling out the loach population.

I also think Madagascar rainbow fish are amazing ...

Other thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

The angelfish would eat anything that fits in their mouth so you would probably say bye to your tetras and small danios. But MAYBE if you got the angelfish really young and they grew up with the other fish maybe they wouldn't eat them :/

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Your Danios, Tetras or any other fish would have to be very small for the Angels to eat them. I can only speak for Angels since I've had them for many years... I dont know the dimensions of your column tank but they need some room to swim since they can get quite large and sometimes they can get very aggressive towards each other so mixing them and or pairing them can be a challenge.

I have a single angle in my tank. He is with a few different types of tetras. He is rather small so he is not able to eat any of my other types of fish in there. I would not be worried about them eating anything if you can get them young. I have a few baby guppies in my tank with him and he has never tried to eat them. Although they are bigger than his mouth. If they were new fry then my guess would be they would become dinner not only to my angle but a few of my other fish.

I think if you had one it would be ok. I've thought about adding another but from what research I've done it can be hard to pair. Although I guess it all depends on the individual fish really.

That's all very helpful thanks!

Nobody is smaller than 1.25" and there are no fry. If there were fry Id be happy to have them eaten.

I would buy juveniles. Or maybe one, considering ... Would two juveniles raised together be less aggressive? Or only if/until they do pair off and spawn? I understand they are cichlids with the usual semi aggressive qualities of the species?

The tank is 30" long x 18" x 24" tall.

30" isn't a lot of lateral swimming space. While angels do enjoy a tall tank because of how tall they get, they also need a good bit of length.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

30" isn't a lot of lateral swimming space. While angels do enjoy a tall tank because of how tall they get, they also need a good bit of length.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Good to know. Sounds like I should consider other options.

Back
Top Bottom