Angelfish tank start-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Canno2827

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to get started on an angelfish tank. I have a 30 gallon tank that previously had cardinal tetras. I would like to get a pair of black veil angelfish to put in the tank but even after doing some research I could not find a step by step way to get the tank set up, I also wanted to know what the specifics were for tank conditions (ph, temp., mineral levels, etc.). If possible I would also like some tips for having angelfish.

Also do you have any suggestions on types of filters and any other aquarium equipment

I know angels prefer slightly acidic water (low pH), what is your tap pH? Let your tap water sit in a container for ~24 hours and then do a pH test.

My ph is 7.2 and pretty hard, I used conditioned water with my tetras.

Thanks, for a filter should I use a sponge filter?

Unless your getting wild caught angels you don't need to worry about having soft water and lower ph. I've been keeping them over 30 years and currently have 12 large adults in my planted 220g tank.

Angels prefer plants and like to have at least one larger, broader leaf plant like an Amazon Sword. For a 29 you could use an HOB filter or a canister which is what I prefer. Just using a sponge filter IMO isn't enough as you will have no mechanical filtration or ability to use chemical media if you wanted. I do 50% weekly WC's and add back water that is from 1-3 degrees cooler than the tank water which can help trigger spawning.

Back
Top Bottom