Angelfish variety help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANGAR

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys... So the 46g is about to take off! (Plants coming in tomorrow!) and I plan on getting 1 angelfish, and have not kept them...
But the variety to choose from is crazy!!!

Lace
Veils
Pinoy
Philippine blue
Etc, etc.

Can anyone breakdown a couple of the main varieties, because I plan on ordering online (not too many good LFS where I'm from)
I'm thinking from angelmania

Also do all angelfish have red around there eyes?
And any big No-Nos I should know about keeping them?
I'm only getting one...??

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here is a thread to keep you busy, with more info than any one normal human would need plus a great place to ask questions.

These guys here have babies and sell sometimes fyi - please use PM for selling opportunities though. As for kinds, pick the favorite colors /shape/ fin. Pairing off with more than 1 fish can make for a turf war in the tank.

Go for a male fish. They can get the size of a hand. We have a Love/hate relationship! The pairs understandably but not happily cause havoc as they start breeding in a community tank, so IMHO not good as a pair and maybe not a female which might lay eggs and think she needs to protect them.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-a-hatchery-and-everything-angels-324616.html

Here is a thread to keep you busy, with more info than any one normal human would need plus a great place to ask questions.

These guys here have babies and sell sometimes fyi - please use PM for selling opportunities though. As for kinds, pick the favorite colors /shape/ fin. Pairing off with more than 1 fish can make for a turf war in the tank.

Go for a male fish. They can get the size of a hand. We have a Love/hate relationship! The pairs understandably but not happily cause havoc as they start breeding in a community tank, so IMHO not good as a pair and maybe not a female which might lay eggs and think she needs to protect them.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-a-hatchery-and-everything-angels-324616.html

Yeah I kinda made this thread so I didn't have to sift through a thread that was started in 2014... I'm in a new apartment and don't have my internet on so the only way I can see it is from my tiny iPhone screen lol

That thread is current as of this morning. Just because it was started in 2014 doesn't mean there's not valuable information in it. I read the whole thread from the beginning the other day, and I gained a wealth of knowledge from it.

Honestly, if you can't be bothered to do the research for your tank, why should we bother? I could understand if it was an obscure topic, or very specific, but since your question is very general, and the link to the info was given, I think you should be able to research yourself...

That thread is current as of this morning. Just because it was started in 2014 doesn't mean there's not valuable information in it. I read the whole thread from the beginning the other day, and I gained a wealth of knowledge from it.

Honestly, if you can't be bothered to do the research for your tank, why should we bother? I could understand if it was an obscure topic, or very specific, but since your question is very general, and the link to the info was given, I think you should be able to research yourself...

Read the whole post before jumping down someones throat. He is working off an iphone. WE bother because people are knew and this IS part of research.

I honestly don't know much about angels. I do know the so called blue ones don't look blue to me they look more grey IMO.

No they don't all have red eyes.

My favorite are the Altumns but they can be hard to find, second are the Kois and third are the black. from what I understand personality in variants are the same its just personal preference of appearance.

I did read the whole post. So what? I read the whole Wiggler 2 on an iPhone, a screen is a screen you just might have to zoom and scroll a bit. The information is there, and there are even other links to Angelfish clubs and whatnot in the thread. All you have to do is click and read....don't even have to google it yourself.

Teach a man to fish....

I can make it real easy for the OP: ALL those variations are from the same fish ( P. Scalare) so pick which one you like and go for it. A single male is a better choice ( IMO) than a female but if you are getting a small fish to raise up, this MAY not be an issue but with Angels, you never know. In order to be assured a male fish, it would have to be a larger fish as well. There are 2 (possibly 3) other species of Angels available but these are wild fish mostly and more expensive. P. Altum, P. Leopaldi and P. eimecki. If you are a first time Angel keeper, I suggest none of these as they can be a harder fish to keep in captivity.

So that's it in a nutshell. ;)

Hope this helps (y)

Edit: to answer your other questions, Red in the eye is their natural color. Not all new varieties have this anymore but it's more an individual fish thing more than a type as a whole.
As for "No Nos", small Angels usually do not do as well as individuals than larger ones do. I would suggest a medium sized fish ( quarter body size + ) over a small ( dime to nickel body size).
Angels do not like current so you need to make sure there are areas in the tank with slow water movement or you need to downsize your filter.
Angels eat whatever fits in their mouths so be careful what else you put in the tank. If your goal is many smaller fish, you may want to rethink the Angel all together. They are cichlids and can be aggressive when it comes to territory so keep this in mind as well. You would want to put the Angel in last amongst all your other fish assuming they are all compatible. (y)

Thanks Andy! I appreciate it.
What does Pinoy mean though??? I've been seeing it around online and I just can't figure out what the trait means because the fish always look different in the pictures shown as a reference.

And aclarke you seem kinda grouchy I think you need a nap.

I wish we could book mark the wigglers groups and return to where we left off in the posts with out having to click from page to page. That can 10-15 minutes alone with hundreds of pages and 1000s of responses. The wigglers thread is a wealth of knowledge. Read as much as you can there.

I wish we could book mark the wigglers groups and return to where we left off in the posts with out having to click from page to page. That can 10-15 minutes alone with hundreds of pages and 1000s of responses. The wigglers thread is a wealth of knowledge. Read as much as you can there.

Click the orange arrow next to the title, instead of the title itself. It will take you to YOUR first unread post.

Thanks Andy! I appreciate it.
What does Pinoy mean though??? I've been seeing it around online and I just can't figure out what the trait means because the fish always look different in the pictures shown as a reference.

And aclarke you seem kinda grouchy I think you need a nap.

I believe pinoy, is going to be the same as what you listed as Philippine blue.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Gillie got it. The word "Pinoy" refers to Philippinos so a Pinoy Angel is one of the ones developed in the Philippines ( most notably the Philippine Blue.) To my knowledge, you should expect all Pinoy angels to have some blue variation to them.

I would post for Angels here in classifieds for great fish and reasonable pricing and real people raising real, usually healthy fish. Get more than you wll need for pairing off purposes and sell the extras or keep them in a different tank in case of a death to have an extra of the age and knd you have.

If you do - actually for any fish - I would make sure to ask for the water parameters the fish are raised in and for a sample of food (if not common type/ or available near you) as well as name /brand or different varieties they are feeding, as well as knowing if flake, pellet, frozen or freeze dried. Knowing as much as possible will help your success. Also if they have been dewormed. Maybe buy some worming meds they recommend or have.

I've bought from angelmania. I bought 10 dime sized fry from them back in the beginning of summer. They're about silver dollar size now and I haven't lost any. Hopefully some will start to pair off pretty soon.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom