Angelfish with coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gallon reef tank with a toad stool coral, a blue zoa and some kind of green polyp. I'm thinking about getting a cherub angelfish in a month or so but I wanted to know how badly the coral would be picked on by one cherub. If the cherub isn't a good idea, what are some other angelfish that might work better?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I don't think there are any angels that will fit into a 20

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think there are any angels that will fit into a 20

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Are you sure? Because I was looking at a lot of different forums posts and people where saying it was perfectly fine but for the most part they where fowler tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

a 50 gallon really is the minimum for a dwarf angel, 100+ gallon at least for large angels.

Managing water quality isn't the issue, it's simply too small of a space for an active fish like an angel.

best advise is to research about what fish you want ,
live aquara would be your best bet for that , and just remember in a 20g you are limited to certain nano fish ,

just imagine a 6 ft man in a 3ft box now that's tight now think about that angel

Last edited:
In the wild, Angel's graze for food, this is why they can be not reef safe. Some, like a flame angel may just be happy with the food you feed them but if their grazing instinct kicks in they are going to eat your polyps real quick. Sometimes they just change on you too, they don't touch them for years then YUM YUM Zoas! In my experience you're always rolling the dice. Some fish have a lower % of eating coral, clowns and tangs for instance. Some higher, butterflys and Angels. That being said I have a Trigger that doesn't touch coral and a Yellow Tang that snacks on a pavona cup coral.

You never really know, you're just reducing the risk.

20 gallon is by far too small for an angelfish. Even a dwarf angel. My flame angel has been a model citizen. But I did have another one which loved my corals.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Mine was a model citizen for 4 yrs before it went to munching. I think it`s a risky move IMO.

The smaller the tank the risk of corals being eaten goes up , the bigger the tank the risk of corals being eaten goes down , it's not a guarantee but it lowers the odds ,
now with a 20g tank not only are the corals at risk to be eaten but the stress level of the angle in a small tank will most likely be the cause of a tragic loss ,

in a tank your size you should look into nano fish , live aquara has a nice selection along with compatibility charts .

Back
Top Bottom