Angels and Rainbows with Semi Aggressive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquathumb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We are seriously contemplating re-doing the 125 gallon.

For the last decade or so it has been community tropical and plants.

It is time for a major tear down and hardscape overhaul.

Something about schools of redhooks, tinfoils, barbs, larger danios and gouramis and other semi agressive is alluring me.

I am curious to know if anyone has kept the above with boesmani, irrian red and australian rainbows and mature angels?

Any real experience and thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks!

My 150 has rainbows, rosey barbs, gold barbs, giant danios, Danio dario, golden wonder killies, flagtail prochilodus, Synodontis spp., asst plecos, Delhezi Bichirs, and (for now) a couple pacus. As long as no one fits in someone else's mouth and they are all well fed there shouldn't be any major issues. I wouldn't mix tin foil barbs and angels, too likely to lose fins.

I have a question about this topic. Don't cichlids need a higher pH and rainbows a lower one? Would putting them in the same tank be a problem in that case?

It depends on the cichlid.

African cichlids prefer a higher pH, where as German Blue Rams prefer lower.

Angelfish prefer a lower pH. They are originally from the Amazon area, lots of peat type water.

But, most fish can adapt quite well to any pH as long as it's stable.

I have a question about this topic. Don't cichlids need a higher pH and rainbows a lower one? Would putting them in the same tank be a problem in that case?
Consider this. When you go to a fish store, all the various fish, regardless of origin are kept in the same water. There are very few fish that need a specific water to thrive. As mentioned, they are very adaptable, and most tank bred fish come from different water than that which is in the species natural waters.

Rainbows can actually handle very high pH exceptionally well, so well that some people add them to African cichlid tanks.

As said there are few fish that need a given pH/KH, water quality is much more important. The exception is usually when breeding, that is when the chemistry may be a little more critical.

Rainbows can actually handle very high pH exceptionally well, so well that some people add them to African cichlid tanks.

As said there are few fish that need a given pH/KH, water quality is much more important. The exception is usually when breeding, that is when the chemistry may be a little more critical.

That's good to know because I love rainbows. I never had good luck with discus. Are rainbows hardier?

Rainbows in my experience are very hardy. I've had them before, If I remember right, they all started dying after about 6 years or so. Much like giant danios. I'm actually considering some for our SA cichlid tank. We already have tiger barbs and giant danios in there with our jack dempseys and jewel cichlids (various catfish as well)

Back
Top Bottom