Downsizing - What to keep and what to part with?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cronv

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So currently sitting on my desk (42in by 24in) is a 40g Breeder, which takes up the entire desk. There is also a 5.5g above the 40g on a shelf. I'm getting a new desk which is 38in by 24in that has no shelves on the back compared to my current one that does.

Here's where I need some help:
I'd like to get rid of the 40g and free up some usable desk space. How should I go about that? Should I buy a different tank? Should I build a new tank? Should I make a long skinny one at the back of my desk or one to sit on the side?

Also, what fish should I keep and which ones should I rehome?
In 5.5g:
- 1 Male Betta (Keep)
- 5 Glowlight Tetras (Would like to keep)

In 40g:
- 10 Zebra Danios (Could live without)
- 6 Australian Rainbows (Could live without)
- 4 Cherry Barbs (Undecided)
- 2 Siamese Algae Eaters (Would like to keep)
- 2 German Blue Rams (Keep)
- 1 Dwarf Gourami (Already found a new home)

Here's kind of what I'm thinking, but this could change anytime:
- Purchase a shelf that could sit on desk or over that could house several small fish tank (5-10 gallons)
- Build a tank for the side of the desk (18 x 18 x 18)(about 25g) for a downsized community tank
- Betta and Glowlight Tetras in 10g on shelf
- German Rams in 10g?
- Danios, Barbs, SAE, and Gourami in 25g?

Please give me any ideas. I'm open to them all. Seriously, I've had some pretty crazy ones, so yours can't be that bad.

cQi0T3a.png

Here's a quick drawing of what I'm thinking, let me know. Also, this isn't quite to scale.

Is there a reason you can't just get a stand for the 40g and keep everything?

You also don't need to make a custom tank, they make cube tanks in a variety of sizes.

Back
Top Bottom