Angels and Rams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I have a 130L aquarium with 2 bolivians and 2 GBRs and a male Betta. I was wondering if an Angle fish would be ok with them?

Thanks
Henry

I would be more worried about the Betta fish than I would be about the rams. Usually rams and angels get along fine, as long as there is enough space for them to get away from each other, particularly if you happen to get a breeding pair. The two species- rams and angels, that is, generally occupy different parts of the tank. Rams are more of a middle-bottom fish with a specific territory, whereas angels are usually middle-top range swimmers. Betta fish are usually middle-top range swimmers, too, and unless you have an uncharacteristically mellow male, he will probably bite at the angels fins.

Ah ok, thanks!
I have a small bowl for the kids room which I might pop the Betta in...

Is it simply a case of Rams/Angles occuply different parts of the tank, therefore increasing cover (plants & rocks) won't really matter - ?

In most cases with bettas in a community tank the betta is the one that usually gets nipped. My betta has never gone after anything other then shrimp. If you have other options then I would say give it a try just watch them closely. It really depends on all the fish. I have a REAL nasty angel and he is only two months old. He is the boss of my tank. I would not be putting either of my bettas with him;) it's just a try and see thing;)

Only putting one angel in a tank that size would be fine. I agree you'll have to see if the betta and angel work. Long ago I had a mello betta in a tank with some angels and there was no problem. You have another option for the betta if there is any problem so give it a shot.

Back
Top Bottom