Angels. How many?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jess2k

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys, am new to this forum.

About 11 weeks ago I purchased my 1st tank. 95litres. The 1st new additions were 2 Angelfish. Since then gradually I have introduced 4 Dwarf Gouramis, 3 Red tail tetra, 2 Albino Corys and 1 more Angel.
I was told to get a 3rd angel as when they mature it would spread the aggression.
All was harmonious, until a couple about a week ago, when the me angel has seemed to take one quarter of the tank as its own and the other two seem to have paired off (don't know if they are male/female yet).
There's been moderate aggression from the new one, who has ripped one of the others fin.
I was recently told to get more angels?
I don't want to do this just yet, because of overcrowding. I will in the next few months be purchasing a tank of over 200 litres for the angels.
What do I do in the meantime? Do I get a small baby angel as others have suggested?
Many thanks,
Jess =D

Following...ive had this same problem...a wise man told me to remove the aggressive ones temply. Switch up the tank like he was moved. Reintroduce. Might try with mine eventually.. Or one of urs might have a bf.lol

i agree re arrange some plants and decor and sometimes it will change there attitude. sometimes i have to put a breeder in a time out tank for a week or 2. most likely you have a pair that paired off on one end and the other one is protecting his side which will happen. i breed the a lot so feel free to pm me

I would also suggest getting another angel, but DO NOT make it smaller than the others. If the others are already aggressive, they will attack the smaller one! The next angel added should be bigger or AT LEAST same size. That way it can hold it's ground.

Also when you get your 200 liter tank I would consider buying one more angel. If the angels are added at the same time in odd numbers they're fine, but usually what happens is when there's an odd number of angels, the weakest one is picked off.

First I'd try taking it out and decor swapping though. That's a much cheaper and simpler option! Especially if you don't want more angels!

Thanks guys for your input. I took the newest angel (the aggressive one) back to lfs.
Although on the morning I removed it, it nipped at one of the others, late that evening there seemed to be a small fleshy dent in its side. That was a few weeks ago now, the fleshy wound is still there, but I have been treating the tank with melafix for a couple of weeks for a bacterial infection that both the angels had and a dwarf gourami had. I thought maybe that would kill two birds with one stone =)
The problem iv got now, is that the angel that got wounded is considerably smaller than the other, they were purchased from the same batch.
Maybe the problems encountered have stunted its growth?

some angels grow slower than others as in my black vails grow very fast and my orange pearl scales grow verry slow

Back
Top Bottom