Angels with tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vacuumlad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, I have a 36 gallon corner tank with 9 neon tetras, 2 black neon tetras, 1 glow light tetra, 2 cardinal tetras, 1 rubber lip pleco, and an Amano shrimp. The tank has been set up for over 2 years and I was thinking about getting an angel fish. All the other fish are 1 inch and bigger. The Angels at pet smart are like 3 inches. So can I add an angel or will it eat the tetras?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi, I have a 36 gallon corner tank with 9 neon tetras, 2 black neon tetras, 1 glow light tetra, 2 cardinal tetras, 1 rubber lip pleco, and an Amano shrimp. The tank has been set up for over 2 years and I was thinking about getting an angel fish. All the other fish are 1 inch and bigger. The Angels at pet smart are like 3 inches. So can I add an angel or will it eat the tetras?

They should be fine. Per Freshwater Fish Compatibility Chart | RateMyFishTank.com

There are 2 ways of thinking about doing this. One is to get smaller Angels and let them grow up with the small specie Tetras so the chances are better that they won;t eat the Tets once large enough to be able to eat them. ( This works almost as often as it doesn't work.)
The second is to consider that Angels do eat small fish and shrimps in their regular diet. It is not necessary for them to swallow them whole so just having them together might be a huge temptation for the Angel to eat them.
In my opinion, I would skip the Angel with those fish/ shrimp as tankmates. Keep Angels with larger species of Tetras that can better defend themselves. (y)

Hope this helps. (y)

Ok so no angel I was looking for a fish to kind of tie every thing together. I'm open to suggestions.

Since you have primarily Tetras, why not continue with more types of unique looking but suitable Tetras? I've always been partial to Golds, Penguins, Bloodfins and Phantom Tetras. You could also get some pencilfish or hatchetfish as these too have a more unique shape or personality and would go well with your small specie Tetras as will look sharp in a school so their being small fish won;t be an issue when the school presents a larger presence. You will cut down on potential aggression with this mix as well as larger species of Tetras can be or become very aggressive.
These are living animals and the expression " tie every thing together" is a little unsettling to me. :confused: You have a very well tied together collection already as all these fish are native S. American fish belonging to the same family. There is no need to have a "showcase" fish to this collection as 1 large fish is more apt to cause chaos than peace amongst these smaller fish. Having the assortment of suitable fish , even tho same sized fish, is a showcase in itself. (y)

Hope this helps (y)

Since you have primarily Tetras, why not continue with more types of unique looking but suitable Tetras? I've always been partial to Golds, Penguins, Bloodfins and Phantom Tetras. You could also get some pencilfish or hatchetfish as these too have a more unique shape or personality and would go well with your small specie Tetras as will look sharp in a school so their being small fish won;t be an issue when the school presents a larger presence. You will cut down on potential aggression with this mix as well as larger species of Tetras can be or become very aggressive.
These are living animals and the expression " tie every thing together" is a little unsettling to me. :confused: You have a very well tied together collection already as all these fish are native S. American fish belonging to the same family. There is no need to have a "showcase" fish to this collection as 1 large fish is more apt to cause chaos than peace amongst these smaller fish. Having the assortment of suitable fish , even tho same sized fish, is a showcase in itself. (y)

Hope this helps (y)

Sailfin Tetras would be neat as well. Might be a happy medium between something that will "Tie Everything Together" and keeping the s american, tetra feel.

I keep my angels with neons- quite large. Since they're regularly well fed, they don't bother the neons at all really. It has a lot to do with the temperament of the Angels you get as well! I lucked out with mine ;)

Sailfin Tetras would be neat as well. Might be a happy medium between something that will "Tie Everything Together" and keeping the s american, tetra feel.

Sailfins don't play well with other males of their species. My record for a group was a 2m/6f and they also stay near the bottom holding territories under driftwood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sailfins don't play well with other males of their species. My record for a group was a 2m/6f and they also stay near the bottom holding territories under driftwood.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Odd..my friend has 4 males and they stay in the middle mostly.

I keep my angels with neons- quite large. Since they're regularly well fed, they don't bother the neons at all really. It has a lot to do with the temperament of the Angels you get as well! I lucked out with mine ;)

As I explained in my post, "it works almost as often as it doesn't." Since you won't know the temperment of the Angel you get until AFTER you get it, it's better to know going in that it might NOT work better preparing the hobbyist for the 2 possible outcomes. (y) I've personally had both success and failure with this mix. I know there is no absolute answer to this question and so should everyone else reading this. As you stated, You got lucky. Maybe the next person won't. :(

I think it's definitely got something to do with temperament- but has lots to do with what age the angel is when to get it - if they grow up in a certain atmosphere with these fish, chances are they'll be fine. Also you have to keep them happy! Plenty of hiding spots and tall plants (fake ok, but live is great!) ...and of course keep them well fed. I've never had an angel eat a smaller fish in 10 years! :)

I think it's definitely got something to do with temperament- but has lots to do with what age the angel is when to get it - if they grow up in a certain atmosphere with these fish, chances are they'll be fine. Also you have to keep them happy! Plenty of hiding spots and tall plants (fake ok, but live is great!) ...and of course keep them well fed. I've never had an angel eat a smaller fish in 10 years! :)

That IS an impressive streak you have going so congrats to that (y) but I can tell you, it does happen and happens as frequently as it doesn't. I have 40 extra years experience with keeping angels and have raised literally over 1 million of them. It's a crap shoot and that's all I was trying to bring out. Let's just leave it at that. ;) (y)

I have 2 hugh angles and I added a group of neons not to long ago. The tank is well planted. I made sure the were bigger neons. They're doing great together. I once long ago took in some bleeding heart tetras and those darned things started eating the neons.:(

I have 2 hugh angles and I added a group of neons not to long ago. The tank is well planted. I made sure the were bigger neons. They're doing great together. I once long ago took in some bleeding heart tetras and those darned things started eating the neons.:(

Maybe this will help end the debate. ;) The lighting is poor but the fish are easy to pick out.

and
Angel Fish With Neon Tetras? - 37074 ( read through all the posts. ;) )

and

http://www.myaquariumclub.com/angelfish-and-neon-tetra-6414917.html

As you can see, there are different experiences by different people. The video shows it DOES happen. :(

Lol I don't think anyone is trying to say it doesn't happen...obviously the video shows it does. For me, they're fine, and the person above. Those are our experiences....I think bottom line is try it if you want, try and get a young angel, make sure it's planted or decorated well, and you'll probably be fine. ???

Thats the thing with this hobby, there is no "right" answering im learning. So many people have different experiences.

In Soviet Russia iPhone You!!

Back
Top Bottom