AngleFish adding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

@HOME

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been wanting to add angelfish to my tank for awhile but wanted to wait and let all the other fish get established in the tank. I know they can be nippy to fish like guppies, which I have. I've also heard that by adding the "aggressive" fish later on in the process at a young age they will actually fit right in due to all the other fish being there first. Any truth to this, or any comments on the subject. Thanks,

There actually is some truth to that. I have 3 adult Angels with some very tiny rasboras. They haven't bothered them one iota. Angels tend to more aggressive towards each other. Especially at mating time.

Would adding one cause the angel to be more aggressive towards others? If so, should I get two? Thanks for the reply.

Angelfish can only be accurately sexed when they are mating. Solitary Angels tend to become aggressive. Is your tank large enough for 2?

yes i do, are there some that get much bigger than others?

Figure angels need around 10g each. Keep in mind they're cichlids and are territorial, especially around breeding age (about 10 months and beyond, although some breed earlier). All angelfish strains are the same, so technically they all top out at the same size, but water husbandry and diet play a big role in how large they get. With superlative care, you can wind up with fish that are 5 or so inches from nose to beginning of the tail. My guys, even with good care, seem to top out around 3 1/2 inches not including tail fin.

Angels are pretty ok with most other fish, as long as they don't see them as food (which can happen with small torpedo shape fish like neons) or rivals (other long fins fish like bettas).

Back
Top Bottom