Anglefish with a huge opening in head

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aubreekay1

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I've been treating my anglefish with meds for ick and hole in head .. he had a big white fluff ball on his head and mouth was swollen so he couldn't even close it.. I thought it was cauliflower but I guess not now he is dying and I'm clueless.. I've tryed everything and idk what to do.. help

Sent from my C5155 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

poor sick axel

We do water changes every 2 weeks with at least 25% ..the tank is only a 10 gal
Tank he has been in there alone for a while he has what I thought was ick so I've been treating.. and was not getting better.. so we cleaned the whole tank and did a 100% water change raised the temp and nothing seemed to work..he started to delovep a white cyst thing on his nose and mouth became swollen..I treaded him with pimafix.and a tetra parasite guard .. it just seemed to make it worse.. not from his nose to his mouth is completly open and looks like something has eaten his face.. he's swimming upside down and still trying to make it but I just feel. So bad looking at him suffering =(

I would start doing water changes every other day at least 20% each time in order to keep the water really clean. I would try a medicated food to treat a range just in case.

I would start doing water changes every other day at least 20% each time in order to keep the water really clean. I would try a medicated food to treat a range just in case.

I'd get you have what's commonly called mouth rot. Does it look like he's got a cotton ball in his mouth? If so, here's a little copy and paste that may help:

Kanacyn (kanamycin) will treat both. A simultanious use of both Maracyn (erythromycin) and Maracyn 2 (minocycline) is reported as treatment of choice but several other meds such as Tri-Sulfa, and Myxazin or interpet's Anti-fungus and Finrot are also reported as reliable treatments.
Anti-biotics usually impact on your biofilters bacterial colony so if possible bypass that and rely on mechanical filtration and water changes during treatment. Follow the dosage directions on any medication you choose to use.
Because it can also cause systemic internal infections feeding antibiotic medicated food during treatment is not a bad idea.

It is likely , not kidding, Hole in the Head Disease, and is curable with medication. Metronidazole (2-methyl-5-nitroimidazole-1-ethanol)
This will cure it in many cases. Get some medication quick to see if you can save him.

Read and reread the instructions for the entire course of treatment, so you know exactly what you will need to do and when. You need to know your gallons of your tank. You can also lower your water level some to reduce some gallons to an amount listed for treatment. For example you have a 29G tank remove 4G so you can treat the 25G as an easier way for measuring the medication.

It could have Columnaris, as well, are any other fish getting white bumps / or growths on their mouth?

Some of the meds previously are possibly used for that too.

Check out the possibilities and do what you can!

Good luck.

Can you please post your parameters and what you are using to test them? A picture will be helpful as well.

With an angel in a 10g and only two tiny wcs a month, my guess is most of the issues you are dealing with are directly the result of unhealthy water. Adding random meds serves little purpose if the water is toxic. I would start by addressing water quality first then using an appropriate med based on your fish's issues along with daily big wcs . Please ask if you have any questions!

Back
Top Bottom