Another Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I changed my gravel to sand this last weekend in my 26 gal. I also changed my filter, to a 50gal filter. I left a few rocks and put my old filter things into the new filter and now I am cycling again. :-(
I noticed that one of my platies were a bit off this morning and tested the water. I didn't look at the ppms I look at the color. No ammonia, about 10 nitrates, and now I have nitrites! I can't believe it turned a light purple. :-(
I wasn't able to change the water this morning due to being late for work. Will they make it 5hours so I can pwc at lunch? How much should I change?
Thanks all!

Sounds like a bit of a mini-cycle. I'd say do 50% PWC as soon as you get the chance ... then retest and go from there. Let the bacteria re-establish and your nitrites should disappear.

Just did a pwc 50%, everyone is accounted for. :)
Test results
Ammonia 0
Nitrite- 0-.25 still kinda like a dark blue but not quite purple
Nitrate 10-20 on the color card they look like the same color.
Should I do another pwc in another 5 hours (when I get home)? I think I need to do one pwc everyday till its 0 right?

Just did a pwc 50%, everyone is accounted for. :)
Test results
Ammonia 0
Nitrite- 0-.25 still kinda like a dark blue but not quite purple
Nitrate 10-20 on the color card they look like the same color.
Should I do another pwc in another 5 hours (when I get home)? I think I need to do one pwc everyday till its 0 right?

I would to be on the safe side; at any rate I wouldn't let it get above .25.

I would wait 24 hours in between water changes unless you have some excessively large toxin #'s. Condition the water with a detoxifier like Prime or Amquel+. Any more frequency than that is not really necessary.

Another option if it's only a slight nitrite issue is to add a small amount of uniodized salt to the tank, it'll keep the fish safe from nitrite toxicity so the nitrite spike is less of an issue.

jetajockey said:
I would wait 24 hours in between water changes unless you have some excessively large toxin #'s. Condition the water with a detoxifier like Prime or Amquel+. Any more frequency than that is not really necessary.

Another option if it's only a slight nitrite issue is to add a small amount of uniodized salt to the tank, it'll keep the fish safe from nitrite toxicity so the nitrite spike is less of an issue.

Ya I use prime(every time I read that I think of Optimus Prime :) ) I'll keep an eye on the levels and make sure they don't get too high.
Thanks guys :)

Back
Top Bottom