Another epidemic?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont see how it can be a fish killong the others..honestly..i dont see any marks whatsoever on the dead fish! Its not like they can do headshots! I dunno..just doesnt seem right..

Sorry dino

Gboy66 said:
I dont see how it can be a fish killong the others..honestly..i dont see any marks whatsoever on the dead fish! Its not like they can do headshots! I dunno..just doesnt seem right..

Sorry dino

I hear ya, I just read an article on line. A guy had a 125 tank of African Cichlid's and he was losing fish after fish. Turned out to be a rouge agent sent to eliminate the rest of the tank.

No buy seriously it said how one fish just homed in on fish after fish until I was happy with the room or areas he had. It's crazy I know and a little far fetched but could it be?

My tests are all in check. The pool company will test for heavy metals and bacteria in my tap water. If that all comes back normal then what? I don't wanna start treating the tank when I'm not sure what I'm up against.

Man this is horrible. At least with the columnaris I knew what I was up against!

This is a mystery and I was never fond of mysteries.

i assumed you have an airstone in there, you have to to add oxegin and expeell gasses

biss444 said:
i assumed you have an airstone in there, you have to to add oxegin and expeell gasses

I had 2 in there took them out months ago, never a problem UNTILL I shut the AC110 of yesterday and forgot to plug it back in.

The AC110 was plugged in while I lost 13 fish. That was a separate issue that came about in the mist o my thread. I don't think it has anything to do with the deaths. The AC110 is plugged in again has been since last night. Lost more today. Just for peace of mind. The 4" round air stone is going back in tomorrow to assist the tank BUT I don't think that's what is causing these deaths.

It happens at night. When light go on there's a dead fish. My lights were on today and nothing. I turned them off went out for dinner with the in laws. Came home, turned the lights on and BAM!! Fish bouncing around the tank DEAD!

Something is going on, I'm ready to head over to the pool company in the am. I'll have results in about an hour the lady said. That will tell me more about my tap water.

Yes your fish being killed are all mature, aggressive fish don't see fry/smaller fish as a threat so naturally they won't be targeted unless to simply be eaten. I've had fish snap and kill every fish in the tank overnight. Why would adverse water conditions only effect older hardier and mature fish? Why would water conditions cause fish to die only at night? It's nice to know what your water contains but don't be surprised when the magic bullet isn't found, it's aggression pure and simple.

HUKIT said:
Yes your fish being killed are all mature, aggressive fish don't see fry/smaller fish as a threat so naturally they won't be targeted unless to simply be eaten. I've had fish snap and kill every fish in the tank overnight. Why would adverse water conditions only effect older hardier and mature fish? It's nice to know what your water contains but don't be surprised when the magic bullet isn't found.

That's what I'm saying. I agree with you 100%!!!

There is a ninja in the tank!! It's taking out everything! It's smart and has a strategy! I have to get a few steps ahead of this nut!! I'll find this killer! I'll be watching the tank again tonight!!

My wife thinks I totally lost it. Staring at the tank in the dark for hours. I need to find something! It will show itself. It's gonna make a mistake and I'll be there to see it. Then I'll be the hunter!!!!!!!!

Did you.take all the stuff out of the tank you added in a couple weeks ago? Maybe something is leaking out of them.

How about your water changes ?
Have you changed like 75% of the water since this has happens?
What's your salt levels?
How's their poop?

I am sooooooo sorry about these loses I would be a mess right now if I was in your shoes. :( I feel so bad I or we can't come up with something

Sorry if these was already asked but it doesn't make since.

all i know is i have had fish tanks for years and when i had a pump break down , death was not far off they have to have that water movement ,air bubbles,the more fish the faster oxegin gets used up, you may have more than one problem,though,find it strange that things go bad when lights are out, pictures you have , have no sign of harrassment,

Andrew McFadden said:
Did you.take all the stuff out of the tank you added in a couple weeks ago? Maybe something is leaking out of them.

How about your water changes ?
Have you changed like 75% of the water since this has happens?
What's your salt levels?

I am sooooooo sorry about these loses I would be a mess right now if I was in your shoes. :( I feel so bad I or we can't come up with something

I did take the branches out and 1 piece of driftwood. I've done a water change everyday almost at 75%. Didn't do one tonight though, just tested. Haven't tested my salt but I will.

I'm sorry I thought you were still thinking it's a strange water mystery. I know you've asked about RO water and I can say this in my 30+ years of breeding cichlids I've never had to resort to that, and I've breed everything from discus to wild caught endangered fish with city water to my private well I'm on now.

Last edited:
if you are increasing your water changes, really pay attention to your fish response, if its your water, it will probably get worse, watch your ammonia, because your clcle will probably breakdown,

HUKIT said:
I'm sorry I thought you were still thinking it's a strange water mystery. I know you've asked about RO water and I can say this in my 30+ gets of breeding cichlids I've never had to resort to that, and I've breed everything from discus to wild caught endangered fish with city water to my private well I'm on now.

Nah don't be sorry. I was doing the water thing more for peace of mind. I know it's a ninja fish and it's on a mission! It's mocking me when the lights are on and I'm hawking the tank looking for it. It sees me! I know it. It's laughing at me. Then it just waits... It waits for lights out then goes on the prowl. My only hope is to find it soon or one of the other guys takes it out and ends this.

Believe I'm watching the tank even now and it seems so quite so surreal. But I know it's watching me. It's just waiting to strike.

Convict2161 said:
I did take the branches out and 1 piece of driftwood. I've done a water change everyday almost at 75%. Didn't do one tonight though, just tested. Haven't tested my salt but I will.

Do you use your tap for the bc29? If so and its not having problems its not the tap. Take the wood out do a big water change leave out the salt put carbon in your filter and see if this helps

biss444 said:
if you are increasing your water changes, really pay attention to your fish response, if its your water, it will probably get worse, watch your ammonia, because your clcle will probably breakdown,

I'm so sure it's not the water or oxygen. The thing yesterday was a fluke IMO. There's a killer among my tank mates. This is only happening at night. And when lights on there's another victim. Also why are the smaller fish and fry ok? You would think it would hit them first.

It's a killer!! I know it and I'm gonna find it!

Last edited:
Andrew McFadden said:
Do you use your tap for the bc29? If so and its not having problems its not the tap. Take the wood out do a big water change leave out the salt put carbon in your filter and see if this helps

My BC29 is premixed from my friend at the fish store. I'm gonna bet there's a fish in there that lost its mind and is going on a killing spree! Only at night? No fry or smaller fish killed? Only the big mature ones are taken down. There a threat to this killer and it won't stop until there all killed.

I read another article where the guys albino zebra was killing all his fish. It killed 8 fish in one night! I have an albino zebra. That's going on the board as a suspect.

Keep in mind in a heavily stocked tank the O2 levels with be lower, in that case extra surface movement will be required. When I had my ridiculously overstocked 72B with a FX5 I'd have to use a airstone after a water change for a couple or hours to keep the fish from gasping.

HUKIT said:
Keep in mind in a heavily stocked tank the O2 levels with be lower, in that case extra surface movement will be required. When I had my ridiculously overstocked 72B with a FX5 I'd have to use a airstone after a water change for a couple or hours to keep the fish from gasping.

That I understand. That's why I have the power head to the surface and the AC110. I will be adding back the 4" round air stone as the hose and pump are still set up and ready to rock and roll. I'll just place it back in the corner where I had it. But like you said. I have a killer on my hands. I need to do my recon work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom