Another Filter Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I've been going through the threads here and elsewhere looking for an answer, but I've just been able to find other helpful information instead. I've got a HOB filter with both the activated carbon cartridge, as well as the black bio screening. What exactly does the carbon in the filter take out of the water? I see it takes out meds and tannins, but thats all i've been able to really find. I also see that a bunch of you ignore the box and don't replace the filters until they are falling apart, opposed to monthly as directed. So either there must not anything generally present in the water that I need to worry about, or the carbon lasts a LOT longer than the box makes it sound. It makes perfect sense that a bunch of BB lives on the carbon filter, so I wouldn't want to get rid of it often, and that is making me think that when it does come time to replace it, do one at a time (theres 2 sets of filters). What are your recommendations and what else should I be thinking about?

You're correct... After a few weeks, the carbon stops being useful as a chemical
Filter and becomes part of the bio filter. When the time comes, replace the cartridges one at a time, give about 2 weeks in between. You could also cut a slit, remove the carbon and stuff poly- fill instead to really polish the water ( what I did w/ my son's HOB.

Use the carbon if you ever need to remove meds.

Back
Top Bottom