Another Prospected ADF owner :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayhariu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello there!

I would like to ask a few questions that pertain to my tank setup.

The water has been tested and are at correct levels. My temperature sits around 80-82. I now have two mollies in there right now and they seem to be quite happy.

I am looking to get two ADF's as well- and nothing more than that in the tank (aside from a snail or two).

I have a fake 'hiding' place rock that would suit them perfectly as well as 2 soft plants and one 'beachhouse' ornament. My gravel could be less coarse but I didn't consider it at the time (basic colored small stones). Will the ADF's get along with my mollies + (the tank has a bit of seasalt for the mollies)? And what is a good PH for them?

I plan on buying them small bloodworms for food but I assume a mix in their diet as mentioned would be a good choice? (bloodworms + Brine Shrimp).

An additional note about their food regarding the Brine Shrimp: Would it be a good idea to hatch live brine shrimp using the seasalt (in a separate bowl of sorts) and use them that way as an occasional constant food source? Save money, etc.

A picture of my mollies (it is SOO hard getting a picture of fish with a cellphone camera...they move too fast haha)
backwardmollies.jpg

first off what size tank? you can feed them any small sinking food too.and how much salt are we talking about whats your ppt?

I have a 6Gal. Not sure on the PPT...but there's a teaspoon of seasalt in there as recommended by the Pet Store Associate. I have absolutely no ammonia...the PH is sitting around 6.8

The salt is probably much less now too since I've been doing daily water changes since it's a fairly new tank still.

ph would be fine. i think itd be fine. they can get about the size of golfballs. well reported size lol. id say do a couple more changes and youd be fine :)

Alright, funny enough they have some in the Pet Store of which Ill be getting them from but I could only ever spot two of them. Then the girl tells me that they have a bunch but they all hide in the filter and they can't figure out how they're getting in there haha. She says they stop the filter and they all swim out. XD

Haha it's so odd though I find, since in all of the youtube videos of them I've seen they're out swimming everywhere.

I agree that a few more PWC's to remove the salt should be good. Also, I saw one of your hiding places, and I don't know if it is frog safe. See, the thing with ADF's is they are not rocket scientists. If you have an ornament that may impede them getting to the surface, then they could end up drowning. Most people use terra cotta pots since they are easy to get in and to find the way out. And make sure none of the ornaments you have could scrape their skin. Once you do get them, make sure they are getting to eat their food. Keeping ADF's with fish can present problems since they, as I said, are not rocket scientists. Fish are much better at finding frog food than the frogs are. This ends up with fat fish and skinny frogs.

Just a few things to look out for. Good luck with your little frogs! (y)

Sorry, but I definately don't think keeping the house ornament in there is a good idea. The small door/window openings could allow an ADF to wedge itself in the house with no way out. Doesn't really look safe to me.

The house isn't hollow so there's no way to really 'get in' but if you think it's still a problem then I'll look into possibly removing it.

Any amount of mollies in a 6 gal tank is hideously overstocked. If you remove the mollies to an appropriate tank (they need a minimum of 29 gals) the tank would be great for a few ADF's but there's no way you have a filter on there capable of keeping up with the waste those mollies will produce. Adult mollies reach up to 5" and have huge bio loads (meaning they create a lot of waste. As long as those mollies are in there I wouldn't add anything else.

Back
Top Bottom