another QT Question and ICK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alicappello

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
First I would like to say thank you everyone for there help and sorry if I am posting too much. I am new at this and I just want to get it all right!

Fist is I had an ick breakout and all that is left is a shrimp, hairy mushrooms, and 2 plants. I know I need to treat the tank for the ick but should I leave the living in the tank or QT them?

Also do you QT live plants, rocks, ect... or just fish, when you buy them?

I know I need to treat the tank for the ick
You don't need to treat the main tank with anything. Just keep the fish in qt for 6 weeks and allow the main to go fishless. with the lack of host (fish) the parasites will go through their life cycle and die off. Leave the inverts, plants, corals, etc in the main, that are not hosts for the parasites.
Please do not treat the main tank with any meds. It is not needed and may hurt your system.
Also do you QT live plants, rocks, ect... or just fish, when you buy them?
I do if they come from a system with fish in it.

Thank you very much for your help. Should I leave the shrimp in the main tank as well. Also When I do water changes and tap offs I get the water from my LFS, but I feel that my salinity sometimes gets too high, should I add filtered water for tap offs?

Should I leave the shrimp in the main tank as well
Yes, only the fish get put in the qt tank.

Also When I do water changes and tap offs I get the water from my LFS, but I feel that my salinity sometimes gets too high
Should be using FW, salt doesn't evaporate and if you add SW for your top offs, it will raise your salinity.

should I add filtered water for tap offs?
Should use RO/DI fresh water.

I would also raise the temp a bit in the main tank to speed up the life cycles of the free swimming ich... some paracites do come in on shrimp but not ich so qt him would not be advised

Back
Top Bottom