Another Stocking Advice Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So my 55g is finally cycled. I've checked the tank a few times over the past week or so and my parameters are ammo:0, ites:0 and ates:<10.

I would love to get some Buenos Aires Tetras, but I think I'm pretty much stocked, so I thought I'd get some expert advice.:cool:

Currently I've got:
2 Blue Gouramis
2 Black Mollies
2 Silver Mollies
3 Guppies
3 Pristella Tetras
3 Bloodfin Tetras
7 Neons
3 Sunset Fire Platies
3 Twin Bar Platies
1 Pleco

.....They are all juvies.

I'm also going to get some anubias and probably argentine swords in the next week or so. So between the plants and the tank mates, would adding some BAT's be a good idea?

what kind of pleco?

what do you mean by bats?

I personally wouldn't add anything more, what are you male:female ratios of your fish? because they will breed

what type of filtration do you have?

Commom pleco.
BAT's = Buenos Aires Tetras

M:F ratios,
BG's, couldn't tell ya.
BM's, 0:2 (purchased a preggo though, those fry are in a separate 10g tank, I will be donating those)
SM's, 1:1, been meaning to get another female
Guppies, 1:2
Pristella, 0:3
Bloodfins, 0:3 i believe
Neons, no idea
Sunset & TB Platies, 1:2

filtration is a 60g HOB. some of you say that isn't enough, i'm going to wait and see how the parameters hold up, and how my tank looks down the road. I've got a python so I don't mind doing PWC's at all.

The pleco's going to get too big, in case you didn't already know. 18--24 inches in a 55 gallon makes for a very cramped fish. :)

ok so this is all my opinion, so take it for what you want.

If you do not want to upgrade you filtration: i think you should rehome you common pleco and not add any more fish. and do water changes about 40% every week.

If you want to add the BATs IMO you will need to get more filtration on the tank (and need to rehome the common pleco), i would suggest a Aqua Clear 110, but if you continue to run the current filter you have, a aqua clear 70 would work well ($35 on amazon.com) If you want a pleco, BN plecos stay small but need driftwood.

also BATs do best in groups of 5+ , but would not suggest with current filtration and common pleco (have very large bio loads)

Bloodfin tetras and Pristella tetras also need groups of at least 5 so i would up your schools.

i have heard that BG can be a bit aggressive for small fish like neons, also your tetras may nip fins of your guppies (so keep an eye out for that)

consensus: i would NOT add anything more to your tank unless you rehome the common pleco. then in my opinion priority 2 is to up your schools to 5 or 6. IMO priority 3 would be to add filtration, then you could add a school of BATs if you wanted. but only if you have a good WC schedule of about 45-60% each week

Oh and add plants until you are content, i dont think you can ever have to many, they have alot of benefits. Make sure you get ones that will thrive under your lighting conditions or you will be wasting your money on plants that could potentially die.

if you have more questions please ask.

Yea, I knew when he got bigger he had to go. My thought was, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that he would start to be over grown for the tank when he was 8-10" long. Right now he is only 3". Am i correct in thinking that he will be fine until he starts to over grow the tank, and that is when I need to worry about stunting? Or will that start to happen right away? Like I said earlier my parameters are holding steady, so at this point I'm not concerned about his bio load, but I also realize that can change quickly as he grows.

I've been watching the BGs and one occasionally chases the other, but they ignore the rest of the tank.... as of now. I also haven't seen any damaged fins , but I'll keep watching.

So for now it sounds like the best course of action is to not get the BATs and up the schools of bloodfins and pristellas, and decide what to do with the pleco/filtration.

Back
Top Bottom