Another UV posting sorry

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kribensis

Aquarium Advice Activist
Im beating myself up over "To be UV or not to UV". Is it worth spending $200 on a corallife Turbo Twist 3x or would a $70 Mean green UV machine from petsmart take care of them?

I read post and page after page. Posts show 50% saying they are a wast of money. And 50% saying they would not have a tank without it. All the good reading sites that talk about them. Are from the same sites that sell them. So, sure they will say you need 100 watt UV Sterilizer to kill ICK and protect my fish. I dont care about Algae. Because if you read about it. Even Algae has its life span and benefits. But nothing a quick cleaning cant cure. Or covering your windows cant fix. What do you who have used them think?

I have 20 baby Festae cichlids sharing a 125 right now, but have other 125g and getting a 210g tank ready for them to grow out of it.. And want to make sure they stay in healthy as possible. I have researched UV after UV. I have learned some have lower priced bulbs when others are almost $100 a bulb. I am thinking about picking up a Petsmart Mean Green UV internal 25w Sterilizer, which I would have to find driftwood or something to hide in front of it. Or pinch my wallet harder and spend more on a Corallife Turbo Twist or lifeguard UV Sterilizer. I just dont know. Again... Cleaning Algae is a matter of knowing and controlling the cause. So I dont care for using it to make water look as clear as country air. Should I stop beating my head over the whole thing. Or is a cheep Internal 25w good enough? Or spend more? Or let it rest? :banghead: :facepalm: :hide:

THANK YOU
:thanks:

If you're gonna do it, do it right, or at least that's my opinion, but again, those are a dime a dozen. I've got one of those little chinese submersible 9watt UV sterilizers and I did notice a difference the day after I put in. But that's in a 20 gallon. For the 90 gallon I'm putting up, going with the emperor aquatics 25watt smart UV lite. That way you don't have to second guess yourself if its enough or not.

Back
Top Bottom