Anubias help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ajwetton

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have read they are prone to algae on the leaves. And I confess mine is no exception. How do people keep the leaves green, mine seems to grow algae quite abit. I

10g tank
2o inch finnex fugeray
O/0/10-15 for amm nitrite nitrate
dosing pps pro
6hr photo period
Weekly water changes
Using liquid carbon.

Any tips would be appreciated as I love the look of the plant and would want more but I hate the algae they get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have read they are prone to algae on the leaves. And I confess mine is no exception. How do people keep the leaves green, mine seems to grow algae quite abit. I

10g tank
2o inch finnex fugeray
O/0/10-15 for amm nitrite nitrate
dosing pps pro
6hr photo period
Weekly water changes
Using liquid carbon.

Any tips would be appreciated as I love the look of the plant and would want more but I hate the algae they get.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I feel your pain I have a 1 and a half foot tall Anubias with 6 inch long leaves in my 60 gallon and the highest one gets the most algae.
If the Anubias is the only plant in the tank you don't need liquid carbon.
A just in case you don't know I dose liquid ferts once a week after the water change.
I have a smaller Anubias in my 20 gallon and it has no algae on it because I have a lot of plants in the tank that they outcompete the algae.

I have one that I had in a holding tank until I set up my girls tank at Christmas that has some either staghorn or bba on it. I didn't mess with them as it didn't want the girls to know I had part of their Christmas present sitting right out in the open. All I did was make sure they had light and the rest I let ride. Well they came out of the tank with the algae on them. I can't use excel in high enough concentration to kill it because I have anacharis in the tank that I don't want to melt. So that leaves me with the h2o2 (peroxide) treatment. It is super easy to do and as a first it's really cheap! Here is what you do.
Turn off all of the filters, leave the lights on so you can see what your are doing. Use 1-3mls per gallon of the h2o2. Draw it up with a syringe and slowly squirt the algae. Wait 20-30minutes and turn your filters back on. You will notice in the next few days after the treatment that it will turn colors. First red then gray, then white as it dies. There is no need to remove it is will dissolve on it's own. Worst case you'll have to do it every month or so when you notice the algae.

Back
Top Bottom