Any advantage to upgrading lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I am using the stock lighting that came with my 55g tank. Its two 18" single strip Eclipse "Natural Daylight" flouresent bulbs, one on each side of the tank. Since I have platic plants, is there any advantage to upgrading? Will just new bulbs do anything, or would I need a completely new fixture/hood?

You wouldn't need to do anything with your lighting unless you were going with live plants. Although you are under 1wpg, this has no effect on your inhabitants.

What about for bringing out the best colors of my fish?

Are we talking a replacement bulb or a whole new hood? Thanks so much for the help Chillin!

Well, why not get a 36" PC strip light (1 or 2 bulbs doesn't matter) ... i personally have one from Coralife and it has 1 10,000K bulb and 1 actinic bulb ... talk about a BOOM in colouration!!!!

I went with a Coralife 50/50 bulb on my 80 gallon tank. Not only did the bulb bring out the colors of my fish, but it made the tank as a whole much more pleasing to look at. The tank is no more overly bright.

I don't really know if the light had anything to do with it, but within a month or so after the bulb change, my Neo. Pulcher Daffodil's started spawning like crazy. Spawn after spawn after spawn.

Can I get a link for a standard size 55g tank (48" x 13"). Or, just either replacement light hoods (2x 22") or bulbs would be even better.

I measured my bulbs and they are barely 18", won't a 21" bulb be way too long?

Thanks Mentallylost! Karma your way. Unless I hear otherwise, I'm going to go ahead and order two.

I just want to confirm that I can just pop these bulbs right into my current fixture (2 24" All-Glass Aquarium Hoods) and nothing is going to overheat or fry. Right?

Thanks everyone, I'm going to order! I hope I can tell the difference.

I think there refereing to the fact that there is not a built in reflector in the bulb.. the reflector in your hood should do you just fine! good luck! :mrgreen:

Nope, I got the wrong bulbs. Just got off the phone with customer service.

Back
Top Bottom