Any help with nitrates ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leggey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hay guys I have been having a lot of trouble getting my nitrates down, I do 20% pwc every 4 days but am still reading between 40-80 ppm on my nitrates :( is there something am missing ?

image-2704582852.jpg

What are you using for filtration? What size tank? What kin of substrate? What kind and how many fish?

Think of it this way...
If nitrate is at 80ppm and you do a 20% PWC, assuming your source water has zero nitrate, the level in your tank will still be above 60ppm.

You need larger water changes.

I think this formula is correct:
(A x ((100 - B) / 100)) + (C x (B / 100))
Where:
A = tank nitrate ppm
B = % PWC
C = source nitrate ppm

Leggey's filtration isn't the issue as long as there are just nitrates showing. A bigger issue would be if overfeeding or nitrates in the sourcewater was present. Larger pwc will help along with controlled feedings and possibly an intro of live plants.

Ok so I'll try doing 40% pwc from now on and see if that helps and also I think I do over feed a bit as I try to make sure my 2 plecs get some :s thanks for the help guys

leggey said:
Ok so I'll try doing 40% pwc from now on and see if that helps and also I think I do over feed a bit as I try to make sure my 2 plecs get some :s thanks for the help guys

40% is still going to leave you above 40ppm. T'was me I would do a 75%, wait an hour, then do a 50%. That would bring it down to 10ppm, again assuming your source water is at zero. Monitor the nitrate for a week and see if it is actually rising fast or just a result of past small water changes.

If you're going to do a 75% water change, make sure you match pH and temperature as closely as possible before doing the water change, as changing such a large volume of water in one shot can have a significant impact on those two parameters.

Back
Top Bottom