Any help would be appreciated

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

provincetown123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone. After years of freshwater tanks, I decided to try saltwater. The tank is going for about a year. It is a fish only 55 gallon. It cycled for 3 months before I added fish. My PH is 8.2, no phosphates, no amonia, no nitrites. I only have one coral angel, one brown tang, one clown. I am REALLY going slow. Lots of base rock. I have a fluval 305 running, a coral life turbo twist and a skimmer.

Here are my questions:

1. I have a lot of red alge. Why?
2. My nitrates are staying @ 5 -10ppm. How do I get them down? I do water changes.
3. What is the best light to use?
4. How many more fish do you think I can add? Mine have been going strong for about 6 months.

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Ron

1. I have a lot of red alge. Why?
you answered that in question #2 nitrates 5-10 ppm means you also have phosphates
both will fuel algae
2. My nitrates are staying @ 5 -10ppm. How do I get them down? I do water changes.
bigger water changes will help bring down nitrates and phosphates
3. What is the best light to use?
I like the tao tronics , or chinese leds Amazon.com : TaoTronics®165w Dimmable Led Aquarium Lights Aquarium Hoods Led Reef Light for Coral Fish Seaweed (55*3w Led, Blue/White Ratio- 28:27; Two-Year Warranty)* : Pet Supplies they will support almost any type of coral
4. How many more fish do you think I can add? Mine have been going strong for about 6 months.
a powder brown tang will out grow that 55g tank here are the specs on a powder brown tang

Minimum Tank Size: 125 gallons Care Level: Moderate Temperament: Semi-aggressive Reef Compatible: With Caution Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025 Max. Size: 8" Color Form: Red, Tan, Yellow Diet: Herbivore Compatibility: View Chart Origin: Indian Ocean Family: Acanthuridae
right now with the stock in your 55g tang will need to be re-homed him by him self is over stocked but the coral beauty and clown are fine as long as you find fish compatible for a 55g you could add 4/5 more fish

The tang does not belong in a 55. How often are you cleaning the canister filter? they capture organic material and it just sits in there producing nitrates. I'd be cleaning that weekly. How about flow inside the tank? If there is a lot of rock there may be dead spots and this is where you are getting detritus buildups which could be causing some of it.
Your stocking question depends on the fish you choose. If you mean tangs, you are at your limit. Go to live aquaria and click on the fish you are considering. They list some things like care difficulty and minimum tank size.

The red algae is cyanobacteria. It's from excess nutrients.

A kole tang or a tomini tang are probably the only ones you could get away with. I have a tomini tang and the guy don't stop moving so they do need space

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Sure, if you think a 55 is a good place for a 6" tang. Edit- not sure it will make it all the way to 6" though,. before it succumbs to some sort of stress related disease.

Thank you. Right now the brown tang is about 1 inch long. I guess I have to think about finding him a new home.

Please bare in mind I work with British gallons...

I think that's near 70 U.S. Gallons

Back
Top Bottom